“Loved the vibe, hated the wait for food.”
Review of Cass Cafe

Cass Cafe
Ranked #201 of 1,247 Restaurants in Detroit
Price range: US$10 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Deli
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

We visited on Noel night, so the place was probably busier than usual. The waitstaff was excellent, but to wait 45 minutes after soup for our dinner was too long. The lentil soup was fresh and flavorful, whereas the walnut bean burger was mushy.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

Have been there for business lunches and evening hanging out. Local folks. University and area business crowd type of place. Good service, friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

If you're a vegetarian, I'm not, get the lentil burger. Best I've ever had and is one of my favorites on the menu.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

My friend wanted to take me to this restaurant, and I was reluctant, having my heart set on another restaurant. Boy, I am glad we went to Cass Cafe!! The decor is my college hang out, or college coffee house, but, the food is delicious and inexpensive. My friend had Mahimahi served on a bed of greens with some really yummy sauce. I had a New York strip with a Bourbon mushroom sauce, served over creamy mashed potatoes and asparagus. The steak was flavorful, and the potatoes and asparagus were delicious. We also had their cream of mushroom soup for a starter, delicious! For dessert we had their carrot cake, which was really perfect and had a lovely spice to the moist cake. We couldn't believe our bill when it came, very, very resonable. The waitresses were very nice, and I can tell you, if I was going to college in Detroit, I would have eaten at Cass Cafe every night!!

1  Thank PoppyGal63
Reviewed 27 March 2016

I was taken to the Cass by friends for dinner before a concert at the Detroit Symphony. I was apprehensive because the Cass Cafe looks on the interior like a typical breakfast cafe which dot the American landscape. I was happily surprised the limited menu and wine list is quite good. My sirloin was done medium rare with quite a lot of red in it as I ordered. The lentil soup was indifferent. The service is curious. The first time I went the servers were all young and probably students at Wayne State nearby. The second time this year they were gruff males who seemed unsure what to do with the customers. A good inexpensive meal before the concert at a symphony that exceeds all expectations.

Been to Cass Cafe? Share your experiences!