“Paella to rival the best we have had in Spain”

Vicente's Cuban Cuisine
Ranked #11 of 1,173 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

Staying at the Aloft Detroit...this restaurant is about 3 blocks away. We have been to Spain many times. Our favorite paella restaurant is in San Sebastián.... Vicente's paella Valenciana is fabulous...second only to our fav restaurant in San Sebastián.

We sat down and immediately ordered our Paella as the menu indicates 45minutes to prepare. We ordered drinks and two tapas. Way too much food!!! This was a meal for 4 not for 2 though we gave it a valiant effort.

Our two tapas were the chorizo and mushrooms in a cream sherry sauce and the 'tapa de la casa' of pork and onions with fried plantains, yucca and potatoes. I liked the first the best and my husband liked the second more.

We both loved our Paella with shrimp, scallops, mussels, chicken and chorizo. Just way too much... we ended up picking through the delicious rice for morsels of meat and seafood. If you are a party of four order the Paella as your main course with a few tapas!

Nice wine by the glass. My husband had a Chilean wine and one from Argentina. I had two 'mojitos especial' and they were delicious but lethal. I went back to our hotel room and read the same page of my book for 10 minutes with zero comprehension.

Service was good... only negative is the bread... awful dried out slices of some nasty white bread. You want nice fresh bread to soak up the delicious sauces from the tapas

2  Thank J&S

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Vicente's Cuban cuisine definitely lived up to the great reviews I had read before going. If you plan on going on a Friday or Saturday night, you should make reservations because the restaurant gets pretty full. The food and drinks are great (for food, I recommend the empandas and the lobster bisque). If you come for the salsa dancing (which you should!), there is a little bit of group instruction on how to salsa before open salsa. If there are a lot of people and you can't see the steps, don't worry, the intstructor will walk around and help you and your partner if needed! While the meal and drinks can get a little pricey, it's really worth it to splurge a little if you want a fun night in Detroit!

2  Thank LWest4
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I really don't know how anyone could give this place a bad review. Service was impeccable, sangrias we authentic and delicious, food was hot and tasteful. The dessert was also some of the best tres leches that I have had in the area. This was my first visit to this restaurant and it will not be the last. I am looking forward to returning when you can sit outside and have dinner. This place was a real treat!

1  Thank troutcatcher04
Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

Went here for lunch with some friends and everyone's meals looked delicious. I especially liked my Gratinado del chef. Everything about it was great down to the zucchini and carrot side. I loved the big pieces of mushroom, shrimp and scallops. We sampled most of the mojitos and they were all great. Not my favorite but very close. I love passion fruit and they had a passion fruit mojito that was good but not as good as the plain.

Reviewed 4 February 2017

I took my team there for Dinner before going to see the Lion King. Our Reservations was for 5:30 but we showed up 15 minutes late so I can not blame the restaurant for us missing the first 25 minutes of the Lion King. At first we were sat at large round table that butted up against the bar that would have made it impossible for patrons and wait staff to get by us. We asked them to move us and they gladly did.

We looked over the menu and drinks list. We ordered a round of Mojito's. The forgot one of my colleagues Mojito's. We ordered a second round of Mojito's. Depending on the bartender they are either strong or too sweet. There was no consistency. If you order the Paella it takes 45 minutes to prepare and two people must order it which is explained on the menu. The Calmari Appetizer was just okay. I would not order it again from here. The Paella the Mussels and Lobster was ice cold. The rest of the entree was really good. They forgot the rest of the groups entrees it took them 10 to 15 minutes to bring out the rest of the group entrees. I was not going to be rude and eat without the rest of my colleagues being severed their entrees. Which could be the reason why the Mussels and Lobster tail were ice cold. My Colleagues seemed to enjoy their entrees.

Overall I would go back just not with more than 4 people. Service was average. Since we had more than 6 people the waiteress knew she was getting an 18% tip so she knew she did not have to work that hard to provide us with exceptional service. She was going to get her tip regardless.

My colleagues work extremely hard and I wanted to treat them to great dining experience and a Broadway show. Unfortunately, the experience at Vincente's was not as good as I had hoped.