“Southern comfort food in Northern Michigan”
Review of $5 Meal Deal

$5 Meal Deal
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Elk Rapids
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 September 2017

I didn't think I'd find great southern comfort food outside of the south. Kolu's is amazing! A tiny little space, food is served cafeteria-style and your meat and two sides are only $5.

Our meat options that night (the menu changes daily) were jerk chicken, curried chicken, bbq chicken, bbq ribs, meat loaf, pulled pork, and fried chicken. It all looked so delicious that it was hard to choose, but the jerk chicken was excellent.

I lost track of all the sides! Some are cold (cole slaw, potato salad, pasta salad, and more) and some hot (greens, mashed potatoes, beans&rice, candied yams, corn, the extremely popular cheesy potatoes).

Don't pass up this little gem!

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Tried this for the first time tonight with my wife. The man working was very friendly and told us about everything. Only open from 4 to 8pm and we got there around 6:30 and choices were getting slim already. They go through food fast. I had the Jerk Chicken with the tropical slaw and mac-n-cheese. My wife had the BBQ Chicken with sweet potatoes and the tropical slaw. Slaw was a typical slaw but had pineapple and coconut which added just enough flavor...it was excellent, our favorite side. The Mac-n-cheese and sweet potatoes were very good as well. Jerk Chicken was spicy and flavorful, just enough spice for my taste and I like spicy foods. BBQ Chicken was very good too. Sauce was a typical red BBQ sauce, but the chicken was tender and moist. For $5 you get choice of meat and two sides and it's plenty of food. I finished mine and was full, she had a little left and was full. We met Kolu herself on the way out...great lady. We vacation up here once a year. We will certainly be back.

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We've driven right past this little gem hundreds of times over the past year and decided to stop in after hearing fellow golfers talking about the food. We were amazed at the offerings! All homemade by the extremely pleasant and hardworking owner, Kolu. The portions are beyond generous and our selections didn't disappoint. We have enough BBQ chicken, ribs, rice and Mac & cheese leftover for lunch again tomorrow. I highly recommend you stop in, but go early because when it's gone it's gone! Served cafeteria style, best to takeout as seating is very limited and you don't go for the ambience. It's just good down home southern style cooking. Prices are extremely reasonable.

Reviewed 19 May 2017

Talk about an incredible surprise! I could not believe this place. I heard about this restaurant that did $5.00 meal deals so my girlfriend and I went out to try it.

The food is prepared in advance and service cafeteria style. There is limited seating. The ambiance is non-existent; but the food is INCREDIBLE!

The portion size for $5.00 is amazing!
The flavor of the foods spectacular!
The cuisine seemed a wonderful mixture of Caribbean and soul food!

The only drawback is they only cook so much. If you get there late you won't get to eat!

Reviewed 14 March 2017

What a great deal. A must!!!n She works hard for her money and it's not the best atmosphere, but food takes care of that.