“First time and Enjoyed Duck breast with Strawberry sauce. Liliacs!”

The Rowe Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rowe Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Price range: US$23 - US$42
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Rowe Inn of Ellsworth, Michigan, offers an intimate, casual atmosphere of fine dining for Charlevoix, Torch Lake and all of Northern Michigan. You'll find our seasonal menus and expansive fine wine collection perfect for any occasion. Individuals, couples, groups and families are equally welcome and catered to. All our meals and wines are served with passion and commitment unsurpassed by anyone in Northern Michigan's fine dining industry. Reservations required. No BYO bottle corking fee available.
Reviewed 27 July 2017

The porch worked well for us as the booth to the side was filled with diners. fresh Lilacs filled the air this May evening. My husband's parents ate here. Nice memory.

Management response:Responded 22 September 2017

Thank you for coming. We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience and hope to see you again. The Rowe

Reviewed 24 July 2017

If you are anywhere around the area, you must visit The Rowe Inn. Recommended by a friend, we celebrated a birthday here. Laurel greeted us and she is a delight. She has incredible knowledge about wine, but was also happy to bring us a beer. Our appetizer, salads, dinners, and dessert were all superb. Gail served us and we felt as if we were guests in her home. The place is small, the atmosphere is merry, and the food is unbelievably good - as good as you would find almost anywhere in a big city. We will make it a point to return on another trip up north.

Management response:Responded 22 September 2017

Thank you very much for such a nice review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your evening and we hope the birthday was celebrated greatly! Thank you again and hope to see you soon. The Rowe

Reviewed 14 July 2017

We had heard a rave review of this inn--in out-of-the-way Ellsworth, in northern Michigan, so we decided to make the trek on the two-lane highway from Gaylord, MI. I was hoping for a sumptuous meal that included morel mushrooms. Alas! the time for morels was past--no fault of the restaurant. The beginning of our dining was not auspicious. We were served somewhat stale crackers and--for three people--one pat of butter. I had an nondescript glass of sauvignon blanc for eight dollars. We then proceeded to the so-called mixed green salad with a sour bacon vinaigrette. The salad was very meager and I couldn't taste any bacon--sour or otherwise--not worth $6. My entree was a Pork Chop Oscar with a lump of crab meat plopped into the chop--not bad, but also not great. My wife dined on a broiled Walleye, which she found to be somewhat tasteless. The desserts sounded great--a bourbon creme bruleé and a dry slice of some form of chocolate cake that tasted as if it were at least three days old. The tab for the two of us was $ 130--with tip. It wasn't memorable and we won't be back.

1  Thank Stephen S
Management response:Responded 22 September 2017

Thank you for your candid review. We are always happy to bring more butter. The stale crackers you are describing is herb toast, which many people enjoy but everybody's taste is different. I can promise you that none of your food was stale. I understand that you did not find your experience memorable and you won't be back. Thank you again for taking the time to write the review. The Rowe

Reviewed 13 July 2017

I call this an oasis for the same reason I knock off one star. Because it is in a rather cramped old place in the middle of nowhere. That said, this is a surprisingly good restaurant.
Our party shared a variety of appetizers. The crab cakes and lobster ceviche were very good. The foie gras was as good as I have ever tasted, and maybe the best. That was incredible. The Caesar salad was good but not noteworthy. The cucumber soup got good comments, though I cannot attest.
The group enjoyed the wine selections. The ladies enjoyed different fish dishes, the men had rack of lamb and filet, all to some praise. I ordered the pork chop Oscar, which was delicious and very satisfying. I give an establishment special credit when they offer dishes prepared Oscar or Wellington as these are old personal favorites seldom seen today.
I would strongly urge anyone who for some reason was anywhere near Ellsworth, MI to give the Rowe Inn a try. After seeing the location and the exterior facade I was astonished how good it was.

Management response:Responded 22 September 2017

Thank you for the candid review. We really appreciate your honesty. We are happy that your enjoyed your experience enough to recommend us to others. Thank you again. The Rowe

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

After a long drive to check out this "fine dining spot" up north we were dismayed. The prices were fine for good food - the problem was it wasn't good. We had two main courses - both underseasoned. A side of peas and carrots seemed frozen and over cooked. The rice tasted like a boxed version of wild rice. Oh and the staff seemed seriously pretentious. They do have a nice wine list but so do other great restaurants mikes closer. Clearly we won't return.

1  Thank Boomer0
Management response:Responded 22 September 2017

I am sorry you had such a terrible experience. We do not us frozen peas, carrots or boxed rice. Thank you for taking the time to write the review, we understand you will not return. The Rowe