“Still Thinking About...the Salad??”
Review of Pop's for Italian

Pop's for Italian
Ranked #7 of 100 Restaurants in Ferndale
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

We went on a Saturday night and ended up waiting about 35 minutes. Better than the 45 we were told. We were seated in the middle of the restaurant and a server came to us within maybe three minutes and she smiled what seem to be a genuine smile, and was kind.

After my wife ordered a glass of wine and I ordered a beer, we ordered salads and a pasta dish for each one of us. I believe my salad was just a house salad. My wife ordered the same. Does came about five minutes later and we should’ve split one. It looked like an entrée dish it was that large. It only took me one bite to just love this salad, and I am a person who generally does not like eating salad.

The salad must’ve taken over 15 minutes to eat because it was that big. I know I should have stopped eating it because I was getting full and wouldn’t have any room for the pasta, but yes it was that good.

The pasta dishes came maybe 20 minutes after we ordered which was a perfect amount of time. Honestly, this was my least favorite part of the meal. Even with fresh Parmesan on top, it just didn’t have a ton of taste. That was boxed and taken home and tasted a bit better upon reheating.

We then split a piece of tiramisu which was incredibly fresh. My wife was drinking her second glass of wine and I ordered a latte. The latte was so huge, and tasty, that I thought I would end up being awake all night. I added a picture of this latte.

If the pasta was a bit better I would’ve given this place five stars. I find it interesting that the main dish was the least flavorful part of the meal.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Seems like a great place to go with a group for pizza and beer; especially later at night

My wife and I went for dinner. The food was good, not great. Service was okay, not great. It was still an okay dinner

We had the grilled octopus appetizer and it was okay. The octopus was a bit overcooked and charred too much (yes I have had great grilled octopus and this is not it) but it was still okay. The rest of the appetizer was good, mixed greens, potatoes and crispy pancetta.

Dinner included handmade gnocchi with sausage and gorgonzola sauce. It was hot, filling and tasty. The crushed red peppers added a nice kick. We also had the panzenella salad which was quite good. The pistachios in it were a nice twist.

The food gets a solid B. Its not gourmet but solid, tasty food and reasonable portions and price

The downer was the wine. The first glass of prosecco came out completely flat. They replaced it with a similarly flat glass saying something about how the bubbles dissipate quickly after pouring. Total BS. The house red we ordered was probably 40 degrees when we got it. I spent 20 minutes warming it up before it was halfway drinkable. I was disappointed that a casual Italian restaurant only offered 1 chianti and it was $16 per glass. I would have liked to see crafts of chianti available at a reasonable price. That would bring me back. that would be Italian

Pop's is what it is. Glad we went. Wont go back anytime soon. If I lived closer it would be great for a quick dinner and beer or a late night pizza and beer

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Very confusing wine list. It’s honestly overwhelming after a long day. It comes with all these odd symbols and many different pour prices. Obviously people have no desire to read through all of that when they just want to relax and eat dinner.. I didn’t get the vibe that pops was fancy by any means..that being said when they just request a wine I would hope a server would confirm the pour. Nope just brings out a seemingly average pour that apparently cost $16.00. It wasnt even that great of wine but quite honestly for the sake of people’s sanity when they get the bill maybe it would be considerate to confirm with them ‘oh you would definitely like to order this pour of wine that’s mediocre from this insanely confusing menu and will cost more than the whole bottle Sitting on your kitchen counter ’

Reviewed 11 October 2017

That is thin crust, oven fired - light but full flavored sauce and fresh toppings, this is the place you to have on your list. The Italian fare in general is good and I no complaints about any of the dishes I have ordered. My fave is the Linguine and Clams but I thouroughly enjoyed the Classic Chicken Piccata - which is hard to find around this town. Did brunch here once and that was really good also, the Caprese Omelet was fantastic. Way lots of food - so have an appetitie. The "sides" are shareable, not a one person deal...ordered a side of bacon...it was a soup bowl full - enough for the entire table. The amibiance and environoment are just fine...they can certainly adhere to larger parties if necessary. I say go, try it out, I have never been disappointed.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

I come here for try the pizza with my friends, unfortunately is not so good. It's ok but you can't have a lot aspetise. The place it is very nice. Nice invarioment, I liked it. It is a good place to try, but it will not go in my list of restaurant to go back for other dinner.