“Good food, good service, fun environment but......”
Review of Pop's for Italian

Pop's for Italian
Ranked #7 of 100 Restaurants in Ferndale
Reviewed 11 November 2017

We had heard good things about pops and were excited to try it out. We got there early, 6:00, on a Friday night to beat the crowds and we did as when we were done, 72:00, it was packed. What a cool place as it had a garage type feel with a lot of wood and fun environment. We ordered pasta bolognese and prosciutto pizza. And both were delicious. Now the negatives. The bolongnese was lukewarm at best and so were the meatballs which were also delicious but not warm enough. The pizza was perfect and very tasty. One more positive and negative, I had a witbier which tasted great and was also only $5, good bargain. My wife’s dry martini was another story. She had 2 and they were very small and two of them costs $22.50. Way to expensive for that size. Overall it was fun, good food but those negatives could be improved on.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to me by an acquaintance.
So disappointed! Very trendy, hip place with high ceilings (read loud!) Waited a long time for food that was promised to be awesome! Chicken piccata tasted deep fried and bland. I hate bland! No lemon, no capers. Really??? I could do better at home. Won’t be back. To her credit, our waitress was very good- too bad the food wasn’t.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

With a closure of "Como's" due to health code violations, it's good to have an Italian place besides Pizza in the neighborhood again (although they do Pizza also).

We shared a Modern Italian Salad, which we liked very much: nice blend of fresh greens, only slightly dressed (not drowning in dressing), the cheese and pancetta added a good flavor blend.

We also had the Pesto Bread: we could not taste any garlic nor pine nuts, and thought it a bit oily.

I had the Clams in Linguine. I'm used to the clams served in the shell in a wine & garlic sauce. The clams were shelled and served in a rich cheesy sauce with pancetta. The cheese & pancetta rather overwhelmed the taste of the clams but it was still very good. The linguine was cooked al dente and very nice.

My friend had the pasta with pesto and added roasted chicken. He reported that the pesto was better with the pasta, and the chicken nicely done.

We skipped dessert, but did drink the house Chardonnay, which was reasonably priced, and since it was still Happy Hour some of the aforementioned were 1/2 price.

There is a full bar, and an astonishing wine list (some of the wines also have rather astonishing prices). Food was reasonably priced.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

We went on a Saturday night and ended up waiting about 35 minutes. Better than the 45 we were told. We were seated in the middle of the restaurant and a server came to us within maybe three minutes and she smiled what seem to be a genuine smile, and was kind.

After my wife ordered a glass of wine and I ordered a beer, we ordered salads and a pasta dish for each one of us. I believe my salad was just a house salad. My wife ordered the same. Does came about five minutes later and we should’ve split one. It looked like an entrée dish it was that large. It only took me one bite to just love this salad, and I am a person who generally does not like eating salad.

The salad must’ve taken over 15 minutes to eat because it was that big. I know I should have stopped eating it because I was getting full and wouldn’t have any room for the pasta, but yes it was that good.

The pasta dishes came maybe 20 minutes after we ordered which was a perfect amount of time. Honestly, this was my least favorite part of the meal. Even with fresh Parmesan on top, it just didn’t have a ton of taste. That was boxed and taken home and tasted a bit better upon reheating.

We then split a piece of tiramisu which was incredibly fresh. My wife was drinking her second glass of wine and I ordered a latte. The latte was so huge, and tasty, that I thought I would end up being awake all night. I added a picture of this latte.

If the pasta was a bit better I would’ve given this place five stars. I find it interesting that the main dish was the least flavorful part of the meal.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Seems like a great place to go with a group for pizza and beer; especially later at night

My wife and I went for dinner. The food was good, not great. Service was okay, not great. It was still an okay dinner

We had the grilled octopus appetizer and it was okay. The octopus was a bit overcooked and charred too much (yes I have had great grilled octopus and this is not it) but it was still okay. The rest of the appetizer was good, mixed greens, potatoes and crispy pancetta.

Dinner included handmade gnocchi with sausage and gorgonzola sauce. It was hot, filling and tasty. The crushed red peppers added a nice kick. We also had the panzenella salad which was quite good. The pistachios in it were a nice twist.

The food gets a solid B. Its not gourmet but solid, tasty food and reasonable portions and price

The downer was the wine. The first glass of prosecco came out completely flat. They replaced it with a similarly flat glass saying something about how the bubbles dissipate quickly after pouring. Total BS. The house red we ordered was probably 40 degrees when we got it. I spent 20 minutes warming it up before it was halfway drinkable. I was disappointed that a casual Italian restaurant only offered 1 chianti and it was $16 per glass. I would have liked to see crafts of chianti available at a reasonable price. That would bring me back. that would be Italian

Pop's is what it is. Glad we went. Wont go back anytime soon. If I lived closer it would be great for a quick dinner and beer or a late night pizza and beer