“More than a pub!!!!!”

Price range: US$28 - US$42
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2020

We went to the Bakers for our special 50 year’s wedding anniversary, over the years friends and villagers have been talking about how good it was, so at last we went for our special meal.
Having read some of the reviews about the amount of the meals, all I can say if you want to eat a lot go to the pub in the next village, But if you want quality visit here, absolutely brilliant yes a little bit expensive but the result fantastic I had the fillet steak, wow just how it’s supposed to be cooked and served. It’s taken me a long time to find a dish as tasty as this.
All the staff happy and helpful.

Date of visit: September 2020
Write a reviewReviews (261)

Reviewed 7 September 2020

quality selection and range for both food and wine need to book but every effort made to make you feel secure. service was good, perhaps the seating and tables could be made more comfortable.

Reviewed 29 August 2020

I came to this establishment tonight with my partner and family on the recommendation that it was really good..... Well how disappointed was I. Had duck starter, pork and a pudding (only to fill me up). Duck portion was small, pork was very fattie and not enough veg or potatoes so had to ask for more (which was brought 5 minutes later).. As for my partner and family and daughter who had the lamb (which I was told were the last 2 portions) and it showed and the fillet steak which was under cooked as there was blood on the plate as it should of been medium rare.... Can't understand showing Michelin signs on way in with what I seen tonight... Have eaten in a few villages around this area over the past few years and find the neville Arms in medbourne the best value for money and atmosphere...

1  Thank derbyfc2013
Reviewed 29 August 2020

Just back home from a family meal here which was quiet a let down! Its been a while since I was last here but always had a good reputation and food and service were excellent. However tonight was not what I expected. The host was very abrupt, we didn't really feel welcomed and were sat on a draughty table by the door. Food very mediocre, starters were ok but main dishes for the 4 of us were very poor. 2 of us had lamb which apparently was the last of the lamb for the night and it showed! The pork belly was very fatty and a fillet steak had blood all over the plate. We had to ask for extra veg for 4 of us and the dauphinous potatoes were burnt. Very, very poor considering the prices they charge, we ended up having a dessert as we were still hungry. But has put me off going back here, I live in this area and would prefer the Nevill Arms in Medbourne any day ...

2  Thank Z531PIangelaa
Reviewed 22 August 2020 via mobile

Very disappointed tonight on our visit here. No hand sanitiser on arrival, tables were not social distanced enough compared with our restaurants we have eaten in post lockdown. No members of staff were wearing visors or face masks.
Drinks and food orders taken at the table which was good. Starters all fine although the salmon portions were tiny!
Main courses equally small with a tiny bowl of vegetables and potatoes to be shared between four of us! Plus we had to ask for the veg as it didn’t arrive with the mains.
One member of our party had pork belly which was completely fatty with hardly any pork, when we complained we got an apology from the waitress but we did have to ask for this meal to be deducted from our bill.
No apology from management which was at again poor.
We didn’t have deserts but the coffee was fine.
Overall very disappointing as in previous visits we have always had great food and service.

1  Thank oldcharity