“Fun, Eclectic and Delicious”
Review of Electric Cheetah

Electric Cheetah
Ranked #24 of 1,021 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2016

I wish I lived closer to the Electric Cheetah because I'd go there at least once a month if I did. It is so refreshing to go somewhere "different" for a change. If you appreciate the boring sameness of chain restaurants, don't go here. If you long for the old days when you could find little mom and pop places where the owners had a fun vision for their place and are able to create an atmosphere and food to go along with it, then this place is for you. I have been there twice now, and eaten different things both times. The quality of the food is very good. You can bring children here and they will enjoy it. Their signature macaroni and cheese dish is perfect. My 14 year old daughter is picky about her mac and cheese, with a rating system. Prior to visiting the Electric Cheetah she had Panera rated as the highest. But the Electric Cheetah blew them away. I had The Trap which is a form of mac and cheese, but with a lobster carbonara twist. It was soooo rich and creamy and not "fishy" at all, just kind a hint of crabby and lobstery flavor mixed into the sauce and nice chunks of what I believe to be langostino (a less expensive form of lobster, but still quite good) throughout, with peas, bacon and red onion. I was afraid to order the mac and cheese because the menu said something about mustard which I do not like. But I ate several bites of my daughters and the mustard level was perfect, and next time I would order the mac and cheese. The first time I was there they had a special appetizer of pork belly with carmelized onions and oh my word it was awesome! Sadly they didn't have it this time. Their selection of root beer is crazy! And as a diabetic I wholeheartedly recommend the Dang Good diet butterscotch root beer. Finally, the atmosphere is interesting, again eclectic, with some really fun mural paintings over the cooking area and a tree emblem on another wall, black mesh wastebaskets for shades on pendant lights, a lot of black but it made for a cozy feel as the restaurant is not overly large. The wall of windows at the front with a view of the street keeps things real. I loved sitting by those windows but my daughter found it cool to her taste. Oh, and just a tip, there's a narrow alleyway on the west side of the building that leads to a parking lot. It may not be obvious to you that it is there, and you exit via the east end of the parking lot onto a little side street.

Reviewed 1 April 2016

I have been here many times over the year, but it had been over a year since my last visit. What I found on this last visit was disappointing. Their root beer menu has gone from being an eclectic group of individually described root beers to being a random sentence about each that tells you nothing about the flavor. My favorite sandwich, the club tickle, has had its name changed. I ordered mine without ham and bacon yet it still had a ham taste. Everything was pretty good, but it was not as great as it has once been. The cookies are still fantastic though

Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

Unique menu with a variety of sandwiches a huge selection of craft root beers. Topped it off with a fresh out of the oven giant monster cookie. Something for all of us. Grandma, adults, grandkids and great grandson with a really nice kids menus.

Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

Our group of 5 went on lunch during the week. All of the tables were full and it would have been quite a wait for 5 because the place is small and the tables are packed in. We sat at the bar to eat and watched the line cooks which was fun. The part of the bar where I was sitting had an exhaust blowing on me so I left smelling like cooking :( I ordered the grilled cheese and based on the description it sounded out of this world however, I was disappointed. According to the description there should have been a goat cheese mousse (they must have forgotten that), caramelized red onion (there were red onions sautéed a little bit), asiago cheese butter (not that I could taste) and fresh rosemary (missing completely). The provolone and cheddar cheeses they used were not good quality so not very flavorful. The southern raw fries were interesting. The rest of my group enjoyed what they ordered but it was a mediocre experience for me.

Reviewed 23 March 2016 via mobile

Fancy mac & cheese with delicious sweet potato fries! Service was fantastic and it was the perfect quiet place for a delicious lunch. If I'm ever back in Grand Rapids I will be back and will send everyone I know here.