“Tacos were good”

Taqueria San Jose
Ranked #184 of 966 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

This place was featured on a PBS station and we were in the area, sort of, so we stopped by. As someone said, the area is "sketchy" so if that is off putting to someone, he or she should avoid it.

This is a no frills Mexican taqueria and it actually reminds me of some of the places I eat in Mexico. You walk up to the window inside to order and can take it out or eat at the outdoor tables.

We ordered "carne asada," "al pastor," and "barbacoa" and all were serve in fried, double tortillas with onions and cilantro, as they should be in my opinion. The barbacoa was my favorite, followed by the asada and then the pastor. Not to say the pastor was bad, it just wasn't as good as the others. I have yet to find al pastor tacos in Michigan made like they are in Mexico-- slowly turned like gyro meat. I'm sure they exist, just not in my neck of the woods.

Our service was a little slow considering the fact that they weren't busy and we were hit up twice by the same gentleman to "help him out." He hit everyone up.

I love street tacos and these are a thumbs up if you don't mind the aforementioned distractions.

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Greasy food and slow. I didn't care for anything about this place. A hole in the wall. The only reason we stopped was reviews from another site. We both got taco's (I didn't eat mine) one bite was enough for me. I do NOT recommend this place.

3  Thank GrannyTammy01
Reviewed 29 March 2017

I'm not sure if we caught the staff on a bad day or something else. My husband and I tried this place last May and LOVED it, could not say enough great things about our first experience there. We were so excited to be in the area again this past weekend to grab some tacos after a long day. We placed our order to go, opened our sodas and sat at a table to wait. We waited and waited and waited. The server brought out at least 3 or 4 orders that were placed after hours (both to go orders in and eat in). After about 20 minutes my husband went up to see what was going on and they scrambled around for a few minutes before thrusting a bag through the window. Our now cold and soggy food had been waiting for who knows how long. Disheartened we decided to eat there since we didn't have any way of rewarming it. The Al pastor tacos were as good as I remember but the fish tacos were...fishy and not in the enjoyable way. Maybe we caught them on a really good day our first time, maybe we caught them on a really bad day this day. Either way, we'll give it one more shot before moving on.

3  Thank birchbarktraveler
Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Their goat tacos are so good! They are something you think about and crave. The meat is tender and shredded in your taco, the sauces are delish and spicy! If you love authentic, go there!

Reviewed 18 November 2016

We didn't like it all. My chicken taco was nothing but a few small dry pieces of chicken with cilantro. The steak wasn't any better. Waited in line with only two people and took forever. This place is a hole in the wall in a very sketchy area. I don't recommend this place at all. They were cheap but you can go to Taco Bell for cheaper food and better tasting and not have to wait.

4  Thank readytotravel222