All reviews van andel arena great location bistro restaurant valet parking walking distance directly across the street per day restaurants and bars jw marriott front desk staff valet service art prize nice room nice property clean hotel enjoyed my stay wonderful stay
Reviewed 4 September 2018

My 1st ever trip to Grand Rapids. Booked this Hotel sight unseen downtown. Turns it was perfect location for where I needed to go & wanted to be. Great location, near everything downtown. Pretty place, very nice Staff, clean, quiet rooms. Good selection of channels on TV (not always the case I find) Gym had good selection of equipment. And a pool. Easy, free parking, too.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2018

We were in town for a surprise birthday and engagement party. The original email came out for a block of rooms from my friend at a discounted rate. Unfortunately three of our group the email went to our junk folder....Hence we had to pay full rate at over $300 for a king room. We checked in and I paid the full rate. We went to have an appetizer and a couple drinks in the Bistro while waiting to be escorted by some family members to the residence side for the surprise party. After learning they were on there way our wives departed to the residence and the husbands stayed behind to pay our tabs. The five of us got onto an elevator to go up for the surprise. The elevator stopped....We were trapped in the elevator for an hour and twenty minutes. It was super warm as well as very uncomfortable with restrooms being needed. We missed the surprise part of the party. We were spoken to very rudely through the emergency line and initially were told they would be there in 20 minutes....They ended up taking us up very slowly to the 32nd floor we were trying to get to the 24th floor. We ended up propping the door open a little just so we could get decent air. The repairman Chris was trying to open the door once he got us up to 32. He couldn't, thankfully two of us in the elevator were strong enough to pry the doors open a foot, we had to sit on the floor of the elevator and push with our legs for three of our friends to get out and jump down to the floor. That left me and another friend, he tried to hold the doors by himself and really couldn't. I had to squeeze through ruining a $75 shirt and getting grease on my pants. Once out we had to help Chris pull the doors open enough to get my friend out, barely....

Not one hotel manager around or anyone to even ask if we were ok..just poor Chris.

We all had to go and change into different clothes and shower from sweating through our clothes and to remove the ruined and soiled clothing. Not to mention missing the reason we were all there....Turns out you have had the problem before..What if it would have been a group of ladies or children, Time to fix the elevator.

I was asked the next day checking out how my stay was and I told her...she said "Oh you paid full price, I should be able to help with the bill.....she took a $100 off the already exorbitant price of the room and barely covered the cost of my shirt.....

Room tip: Take the stairs.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
sj0rgensen, General Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Dear Duane P.

I was so sorry to hear of what happened during your stay with us. I will be certainly passing these comments on regarding the elevator to the condo security team, as it sounds like these were the Condo elevators, which we unfortunately as the Hotel do not operate. I happy to see that our team did refund the $100 to you. Should you want to discuss more, please reach out to me by calling 616-242-6000

Kind Regards,

Sara J.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

I have only great things to say about this property. The staff was very courteous and thorough with our cleaning. Quiet room on 3rd floor. We did not visit the bar on sight. I would definitely stay here again. Within walking distance to several eateries. We did not have a room with a view however the river is just behind hotel. Our refrigerator was on the small side and no microwave in room.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

I love this place. Front desk staff is super nice and the restaurant/bar servers are friendly and welcoming, happy to direct you to explore the town and it’s history as they are to make you a great sandwich! Rooms are clean and well stocked, and even with a super early flight they will make sure there is coffee ready for your departure. Highly recommend as a seasoned traveler.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed one night for a wedding. Had 2 rooms which were good sized and clean. Staff at the front desk were great especially Paige. Valet parking was very convenient. Close to plenty of restaurants and bars. Would definitely stay again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Meg S, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Tom G,

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are delighted to hear you would stay here again. I will be sure to pass you compliments on to our desk staff and Paige. We are very lucky to have her as a part of our team.

Thank you again for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!