Downtowner Motel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Houghton
See available hotels
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
LeBlanc Motel(Lake Linden)
Good 3.5/5
    Great 4.5/5
    See what travellers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 2 August 2017

You know how it is when you have had a good experience with a place and you want to replicate it? Boy, did we get the shaft. We had stayed here a little over 10 years ago and had a wonderful stay. We called in our reservation expecting the same. It has an excellent location, close to downtown and on the water. Boy what an eye opener. The first clue should have been that the office is closed. The windows are covered with paper and the note said to register at the bar next door. The second clue was the parking lot. It was littered and needed attention. The third was upon opening the motel room door. Here is a list of the amenities that were not included: NO REFRIGERATOR, NO MICROWAVE,NO COFFEE MAKER, NO HAIR DRYER, AIR CONDITIONER BARELY SPITTING OUT COOL AIR, AND A TV WITH TWO REMOTES BUT WE COULD NOT GET REGULAR CHANNELS AS THERE WAS NO TV GUIDE, NO ALARM CLOCK, NO PHONE (MAYBE NOT NECESSARY WITH CELL PHONES) , AND NOT EVEN A GIDEONS BIBLE (WHICH IS NOT A NECESSITY) ALSO NO ICE MACHINE. On the up side there was one small bar of soap, a small bottle of hair conditioner, and a small bottle of shampoo that included a piece of black hair. Hopefully it was head hair. The bathroom is covered in no wax brown vinyl flooring-----on the walls. Upon visiting the bathroom in the middle of the night there was scratching in the ceiling We were on the second floor so you know it was either a rat or other critter. This for only $100 a night!!!!! We could have asked for a refund but did not want to take the chance there would be no rooms available at the other establishments. The only two good things about our stay were the bartenders. They were friendly and accommodating. Just hope we don't end up with bedbugs.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
    Reviewed 29 June 2017

Our annual motorcycle trip with the boys took us through Houghton and who ever plans that year's ride tries to book smaller independent motels because at the end of the day we like to hang out front with a motorcycles and socialize. We booked six rooms.

This place has a great location. Nearby is the Keweeenaw Brewing Company and a bunch of locally-owned restaurants and a coffee place just a short walk away.

I'm not a clean-freak by any sense of the definition and when I review a hotel I always keep in mind the price point so where it's possible I will give a small mom & pop place a much better review than a full-service Marriott. I stayed in Marriotts over 50 nights a years, plus other hotels.

The beds in room 3 have a pronounced dip in the center. Who knows how many decades old they are. The carpeting is earth-toned so that helps disguise things. When I turned the water on in the tub/shower enclosure it belched some pretty dark rusty water. The pillows are extremely thin and if you're side-sleeper you might be in for a long night.

We stayed two nights. The morning after the first night my forearms were covered with bites. It was cool and I wore a jacket the whenever I was outside leading me to believe they weren't mosquito bites.

While I am not a health-care professional nor an entomologist, I did compare the bites on my arms to photos on WebMB of bedbug bites and they look the same to me. I've posted the photo with this review.

I'll be calling the motel tonight to alert them of the possible problem.

I would have loved have seen this place in its prime. With some TLC, it could be a hip and trendy place to stay once again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
    Reviewed 14 February 2017

No amenities here. Beds are OK. Walls are thin. But place was clean and warm. Definitely not the first choice of places to stay next time, but it served its purpose for a couple nights. Definitely need to continue remodel and upgrades. I will keep an eye on the place to see what they do with it.

Room Tip: Take a 2nd floor room so you don't hear the people above you.
    • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
    Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

In May I reserved what appeared to be the last room available at that time at the Downtowner Motel
    I know I had the correct date bc I talked to the lady about how everything was full that weekend because it was Freshman move in day at Michigan Tech

When we arrived yesterday to check in we didn't have a room ?!?!?

First off, we had to go to the bar to check in !! (Office was closed??)

The bartender, after searching for my name on a very messy, penciled in schedule, found my name on NEXT FRIDAY!!!

We are convinced someone came in and paid off one of the bartenders to give up a room to them

My 17 year old son and I both saw my name on the book for next Friday

After getting home I called and asked to talk to the owner
    He said my name and credit card number was no where in his books and he was certain none of his workers messed up
    Sounds very suspicious!!!

We were so disappointed that we couldn't stay for 2 two of MTUs parent orientation activities
    After a tearful good bye to our son, we drove home 4 hours in the rain and dark getting home after midnight.
    I thank God we got home safely and didn't hit the deer we saw on the road
    So, of any of you try staying in that cheap motel, be very careful !!! They are not honest !! I will never recommend that motel to anyone !

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
    1  Thank June R
    Reviewed 22 August 2016

Had a night booked for move in date for MTU. (Scheduled late as having freshman and not knowing what to expect.) Arrived late and was told that we had "booked" for the following week. Really? Why were we told we had the last room available? Double and triple checked our schedules, and no, we had it booked for that night!

So no room available. When we called back the next day to make sure they didn't charge our credit card, they didn't even have the name scheduled for the following week. Seems like I was lied to and my room was given to someone else.

No matter, because I was glad I had to drive home five hours in the middle of the night because that place looked like a complete and utter rat trap.

Will never try to book that place or stay. Would rather sleep on the beach in the cold of winter!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family