All reviewsfloor restauranttop floorthe riverbreakfast couponsstreet sidewithin walking distanceisle royalemade to order breakfastlocated downtownrestaurant barnice viewroom was cleanin townhoughton hancocklift bridgechain hotelsacross the bridge
Reviewed 19 March 2016

Rooms are good sized, beds good, free breakfast at restaurant was fine. Parking was a little tight on a Saturday night.

Get a room that faces Portage Lake/Canal on the north side of the hotel: very nice view of the Isle Royale Voyager III ship, Portage Lake, the old quaint Quincy Mine Smelter, and Mont Ripley Ski Area. Really quiet - no problems with hearing beeping front end loaders moving snow around at night. On the weekend we were there the price was pretty reasonable for Houghton- around 110 a night. You can walk everywhere from here - good restaurants like Suomi Bakery and Joey's, Keweenaw Brewing Company brew pub. Michigan Tech is fairly close as well. Much better location than staying near the Walmart on M26 where you have to drive to everything.

Room Tip: Get a room on the north side and one of the upper floors for a very classic Copper Country scene.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank T-RexFromTheVille
Reviewed 20 January 2016

The Magnuson (sorry...I still call it the Best Western) is always our hotel of choice when visiting Houghton. The staff is professional and efficient, the rooms are always clean and well maintained, and the restaurant/bar is a nice option. I appreciate the fact that the free breakfast isn't in a cramped closet of a room in some extra space near the front desk as most hotels, but it is actually in the beautiful restaurant upstairs overlooking the Portage. Sure, sometimes the service during high volume weeks isn't spot on...but you can't beat the location and the view. Carry on, Magnuson and we will see you soon.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank jsc0tt
Reviewed 1 January 2016

I was expecting this place to be more expensive because of the location, but it was under $100 a night. We got 2 drink tickets to use in the upstairs bar and breakfast coupons as well. Good value. Dog friendly. Will stay here again. The gal at the front desk was awesome! Make sure you show up on time for breakfast. We were 2 minutes late and got such dirty looks from the staff that we decided to eat breakfast somewhere else, even though they begrudgingly said, if we ordered really fast, they would let us eat. Yes, we should have been there before breakfast was over, but c'mon. You could have politely turned us away.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2015

I generally expect a little less out of a downtown hotel. They can charge a premium for the location, and typically aren't as motivated to keep the hotel renovated and modern. So I booked the Magnuson Franklin Square Inn with this in mind. As I suspected, this hotel is tired and in bad need of a major renovation. The lobby, corridors, and room were all dated and worn. The furniture in my room was frayed, scuffed, and likely hadn’t moved in 25 years. I’m pretty sure the alarm clock was made in the 80s, vintage wood grain and all. To top it off, the bed was quite uncomfortable and I couldn’t get the heater dialed in… it was basically off or blast furnace.

So why the 3 stars then?? Despite showing its age, the room was very clean, especially the bathroom. The front desk staff was friendly, and quick. And the location alone is worth 1 of those stars. There are great views of the river and ski hill on the North side. You can easily walk to a number of restaurants and bars. It certainly makes the stay in Houghton more enjoyable then staying outside of town. There is also a nice restaurant and bar on the top floor. They served a tasty breakfast. The mid-winter price was very reasonable. With a renovation though, this could easily be a 5 star rated hotel and they could probably charge $25-$50 more a night. It is nice to have this option downtown though.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

I stayed on the fifth floor which faced right out towards the lift bridge which was nice. I was given a ticket for a free drink at the bar and a free breakfast. The room was clean and had very comfortable beds and pillows which was great. The shower was small but adequate for my needs. The bar upstairs at the hotel had a nice selection of beers and friendly staff. The staff at the front desk were very nice as well. The workout room was small and limited but did have some tanning beds in there. The pool and hot tub looked nice but did not use during my stay. This hotel was right in the middle of town within short walking distance to many restaurants. I would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends