“'Meh' - lower your expectations and focus on the drinks, expect to wait”

Tequila Cowboy Bar and Grill
Ranked #353 of 483 Restaurants in Lansing
Reviewed 14 April 2016

Confusing just to find the enterance if coming in from the Mall. Lot's of staff, not much help finding our way, staff too busy taking selfies in the hallway ...It seems a much better place to come out with friends, dance and play, more of a darker, bar type atmosphere. The place is cavernous, with tables surrounding the stage and dance floor. Our first visit was on a Wednesday, when free line dancing lessons are offered and the place started filling up fast. There were no drink menus and our server wasn't very helpful, it was more "what do you like" then letting us know what special things they may have. Overall I think they need some staff training from a customer service standpoint. I saw a huge mango margarita go by, ordered that and it was pretty good. My husband ordered the pulled pork, enjoyed it. I had the brisket, on the parts that had sauce, it was ok, the parts that had none tasted old and funky. The mashed potatoes had skins but did not taste fresh, like they were canned or frozen, just a weird taste to them the coleslaw was literally the worst I have ever had. Ever. I do not think they bother tasting the food.
The whole experience was just a bit strange. I didn't feel very welcome, more like the staff is very into talking to each other, socializing and the customers are their annoying job. Our server was one of two actually moving fast and trying to help people- the rest were milling around, talking to each other, even though it was getting busy.
I could see trying this another time with no expectations, with friends, sticking to a burger, drinks and riding the mechanical bull but I would not expect to really have a great meal.

1  Thank Elizabeth H

Reviewed 14 March 2016

We had a party of 10 people that went to TC on a Sunday evening. They were not busy as all, maybe 25 people including our 10. I ordered a cheeseburger and another couple ordered Bacon Cheeseburgers and one other ordered a Cheeseburger without mayonnaise. Well the waitress came back and asked me if I wanted cheese? Hmmm. I did order a CHEESEburger. The other 2 that ordered Bacon Cheeseburgers did not get their bacon and the other person that ordered his WITHOUT Mayonnaise, well guess what. It came with Mayonnaise. 4 out of 10. I might understand if they were really busy but no. Kitchen staff needs to get more training and waitress should check orders before the food comes out. If you want something other than a burger, better so someplace else. First time to visit TC and probably the last.

1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 3 March 2016

My husband and I were shopping for an upcoming trip and we got hungry so we thought we would try the Tequila Cowboy located in Lansing Michigan. It is a fairly new establishment at the local mall. It was confusing on how to enter as the entry way inside the mall was for some other joint. We thought maybe it had an opening outside for the Cowboy. There was but it said the restaurant didn't open until 4. We were past 4 so we were good. We opened the door and entered a very dark hallway that led to the hostess station. We were led inside to a almost vacant restaurant. I think there were 3 or 4 other tables that were occupied. Country music was playing and there were some large photos of some famous modern country singers. A large stage sat empty and there was a large dance floor. It looked like on busy nights the table that we were sitting at are probably moved so there is even more space for dancing. We were greeted by our waitress who seemed very timid. Perhaps her she was new? My husband asked what beers they had on tap and she really didn't know. She named a couple but that was it. We ordered the riblet basket as an appetizer and it came with 4 or 5 boneless ribs that were quite tasty. Not very hot though. We had to ask for appetizer plates. The riblets were listed as an appetizer so I would have thought it would be a no brainer to bring plates. I ordered the pulled pork sandwich. It was pretty good but again not too hot. It came with fries that were pretty hot though. The slaw they served with it was just awful. No flavor at all. No vinegar, no sweet to it. It did have a bit of an apple flavor. Just blah. My husband ordered the Foxy Dog. He asked the waitress if it was grilled or deep fried. She had no idea. This came with a huge portion of fries. Some one needs to teach the cooks about portion control. In general I would say the food sucked. Except the riblets. Also, we noticed that we received two different menus. Some items on one menu were excluded from the other, Also, I checked the menu listed on the website and it is completely different then the two we had on our table. I would say some fine tuning is needed by management. We will probably not revisit this restaurant in the future. Quality is below average and service was poor. I hope they read these reviews and use them as constructive criticism. I wonder how well they do on Friday and Saturday nights?

1  Thank Countryjules
Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

Just dined on Sunday afternoon at 1pm. Only the bar area was open with 4 tables seated. It took us 10 minutes to get our tea. 20 minutes waiting for 2 smoked brisket sandwiches with fries. Sandwiches had about 4 slices of paper thin dry brisket and was cold like it had come out of the freezer with about 4 inches of fried onion crisp and a hard cold bun that tasted stale. They should call it the onion crisp sandwich seasoned with smoked brisket flavor. Fries tasted like they had sat in and unheated bin. The bartender server was great and could not have been more sincere in apologizing and it was not her fault. The persons in the kitchen anlong with the manager that aparently was not doing kitchen control should be fired. 1st and last visit to this place and would never remotely recommend it to.....I cant even say a dog.

1  Thank Tristan S
Reviewed 9 February 2016

I had the BBQ burger and it was cooked exactly as I requested! The service was very slow so don't go there when you are in a hurry.

1  Thank Debbie B