“Terrible Food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2009

While on vacation our hotel recommended 'Neath the Birches and said they had excellent food. We arrived on a Sunday evening around 6:00 and there were no customers there. We were greeted by a friendly young man who seated us. The waitress came right away to take our drink orders. Seeing that there were no other customers there I would not have expected any less. I ordered the filet for $31.00 and my husband ordered the pork chops. There is a salad bar and all of the items looked fresh and tasted fine. When I received my filet it was tender but had no flavor at all. It tasted as if it was cooked in a frying pan. There was no seasoning to it. I ordered a vegetable instead of a potato and I was given a small bowl of canned green beans. I was so disappointed with the quality of my food. Canned vegetables with a $31 entree?? The pork chops my husband ordered looked as if they had been baked and were so dry. They did not have any seasoning to them as well. Just plain baked meat with no seasoning or sauce. The french fries he ordered were out of a bag - nothing special.

We had high hopes for the restaurant but were extremely disappointed with the food. On our ten day vacation this was the worst meal that we had. We will never go back again.

3  Thank lizzzg

Reviewed 26 July 2008

We haven't found a place like this in a long time Great food and service at a most reasonable price with homemade thrown in and entertainment from the bird feeders

2  Thank travellinman007
Reviewed 4 September 2007

Though I had eaten here as a child, I had not visited since. The service was excellent, and the setting very nice. The restaurant is somewhat dated, but fits in with the lovely grounds, which includes a lot of birch trees, hence the name. We were there at dark, so did not see the wildlife others have mentioned. About 1 mile outside of town. Has been around for many years. The food was good, nothing outstanding. The salad bar could definitely use some additions for a restaurant of this standing. Prices were acceptable for what we had. A whitefish dinner, a BBQ ribs dinner, 2 fish/chips dinners and 1 soup/salad bar dinner. Probably would not return, however.

2  Thank tymetraveler222