“Lunch”

The Garden Griddle
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Mattawan
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Food was fabulous, people were friendly. We stopped on our way home from a business trip and were very pleased. Try the Cali chicken if it's still on the menu.

smkg1976, Owner at The Garden Griddle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to tell you friends about us! We appreciate the support!!

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Great food, nice people. Waitress and cook were extremely pleasant, will come back when I am in the area.

smkg1976, Owner at The Garden Griddle, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Thank you for your kind words and your time! Look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 10 March 2017

I am from the south but I am here at least six months of the year & the Garden Griddle is my go to place, I either do coffee/breakfast or go for their great, fresh daily Lunch Specials. Oh and don't forget their wonderful deserts.
Love the Staff
Keep up the Great Job!!

2  Thank Gayle C
Reviewed 8 March 2017

Don't bother. This place is creepy. The waitress is shockingly rude, the food is not that good. Nothing was fresh. I wanted a salad, the waitress said they were out of salads at 12:15 in the afternoon and they were not making more. I heard another man order one and he was told the same thing. They were out of salads and they didn't want to make any more. Wow! These people are lazy and they act like they don't want you there. Our waitress was busy eating her own lunch, at the counter, complaining about various things, frustrated over trying to figure out her tabs and being snarky and rude to nice professional people, instead of helping us!
The same waitress was not kind at all to me or to my small child. She didn't care to refill my coffee and I had to get up and ask for it, but there weren't even that many customers in there.
After all that, they burned the child's food. I have a very slim child who is a picky eater. I wish I had just taken her home and fed her better food. No one cared and they seem to hate their customers. The child did eat a few pieces of her scrambled eggs. When she would not eat the pancake I had to show it to the waitress. She ran back to the kitchen and I heard her yelling at the cook! I told her never mind, but she did bring a little pancake back to replace the giant burned pancake. The little pancake please the child, after waiting so long, they didn't want to make any more pancakes, but they replaced the burned one. The new pancake was just fine. This was a good thing, because I will eat most things, but children do not eat burned food, they just won't eat a burned pancake. I tasted it and it was AWFUL!
The same old waitress bullied an elderly gentlemen that was sitting there, ordering his lunch. The same rude old waitress kept saying "WAKE UP" to the poor old man. I talked to the elderly gentleman and he told me some stories of his life. He had said he had lived in New York. He started telling me about his dogs. The waitress came up, interrupted and told us that her four dogs are her babies, they are just like people and went on and on about "It's all how you raise "em' and she was insulting us and would not shut up about how much she loves dogs and how we must be afraid of dogs. This Kind older man had a story about his dog and how it bit a child! The rude waitress got mad and it seemed like she had lost her mind! She needs to mind her own business and try to not eavesdrop on two people just talking about their lives or their dogs! Wow.
The Garden Griddle is a hole in the wall. You feel like you just walked into someone's house and they are all chatting and gossiping and have no time for kind and happy people. They only want the people they know going in there, It is to be avoided at all costs. This is a tiny dining room that you are squeezed into. The waitress was rude to my small child and said "You dressed yourself today, didn't you?" In a mean tone. The waitress was dressed sloppily herself! I had to tell her that it was pajama day at the elementary school and the child had on a Disney Frozen Elsa gown with pajama pants. Why would she comment on what a child is wearing so rudely? I think she is not only not very bright, but she drags the place down. She hurt our feelings and makes the atmosphere in the Garden Griddle feel like low class trash!
Skip this place. Do not go there. I went in with a positive spirit and had some pleasant conversations with some other customers, but the waitresses , the cooks and the person running the place all want to gossip, be mean and serve awful food. I could not get a salad so I got the soup of the day. It was not bad, it was so-so. It was white chicken chili. It was okay.
My bill was only $9.53. When we were finished, I got the bill and went to pay. The same waitress was frustrated with trying to ring up old orders, it looked like she must have had earlier orders, because there was just about no one in that place besides us. So, I felt sorry for her and decided to give her a $3.00 tip. She seemed shocked and wanted to know why I gave her a $20.00 bill, two one dollar bills and .53 cents. Well, I told her if she gives me back a $10.00 bill, she gets a $3.00 tip, with a smile. She acted shocked and confused. I can tell she never gets any tips. I wish I had never given her a 33% tip, but I am kind and thoughtful. This often results in me being bullied by a rude waitress, ,but she has no idea that I am a teach and a writer and I will write up what happened and let the world make up their own minds.
The waitress never even thanked me for tipping her. I wish I had not tipped her!
So, to recap, the food was not good, they would not make any salads at lunch, and they burned the children's food. The waitress was mean and surly, they focused on one person at the counter, they would not listen to nice compliments and they didn't refill coffee and acted mad that you might want a refill. This place is filled with despair and bad karma. Don't waste your time. There are better places with better food and better people. A total creepy place that might freak you out. Do not go to the Garden Griddle, it is not worth the trip. You feel like you just walked into someone's house and they don't know you. Bad hospitality. Yuck! There is a nice place in Lawton called "The Breakfast Place", if you want a nice breakfast or lunch. We will never go back to The Garden Grille. What a hole in the wall.

2  Thank SafeSanctuary
smkg1976, Owner at The Garden Griddle, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2017

First I am personally so sorry that you had such a bad experience. I remember this day very distinctly...and your daughter's burnt pancake. There is NO excuse for our team to have served you a burnt pancake and for that I couldn't be more disappointed or sorry. It is my fault for not addressing it with you personally when it happened.
We had an extremely high record breaking sales day. We cleared out right before you got there for the first time all day. We were only out of our salad of the day. This is similar to a special. We make a certain amount every day and when it is gone it is gone we don't remake it because we offer a new fresh one everyday. Some days we have left over and some days it goes fast.
As far as our waitress is concerned we will address your concerns with her. We strive for excellent customer service and take pride in our community and customer support. Our goal is to make everyone feel like a friend. I hope you will give us the chance to make it up to you. We are listening and appreciate your thoughts.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Good breakfast joint. The best thing about it: frozen cookie dough. You can make their yummy cookies at home.

1  Thank kalamazootwinmom