“Old fashioned drive in”

Dog-N-Suds
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Montague
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 23 July 2015

They have the menu and speakers at the parking spots and even at some picnic tables. The service was nice and fast. Hamburger was great and so was the root beer float. It has been there for years and a good choice for a quick lunch if you are in the area.

Reviewed 20 July 2015

This is a must do for us when we are in the area. The Root beer is excellent, Onion rings have good flavor, fries are OK, and coney dogs are OK. This is in a great location with many of the picnic tables under trees right on the river channel. Park your car in a shady spot and walk back to the picnic tables and order there rather then eat in your car. There are ordering intercoms at the picnic tables. Great atmosphere in small town.

Reviewed 16 July 2015

not a lot to say, cute teenagers in short shorts, fried food, root beer, they do offer a salad. It is convenient and there are plenty of stands.

Reviewed 13 July 2015 via mobile

Looking forward to see dog n suds travelled from Chicago and thought to stop by. I worked at a dog n suds over 50 years ago and was solo looking forward to a burger and root beer.

I felt like Clark griswald at Wally World... Placed closed for renovation.... What a bummer...nothing on website either new owners need to let people know...ugh..

Reviewed 29 June 2015

The previous owner was an extremely rude man who regularly berated his employees and cursed at them in front of customers - I know because my daughter is a former employee. I'm glad to see this place up and running again with new ownership, however, I hope they get their act together very soon, especially since it's high summer and this is a popular place.
We waited about 7 minutes to even place our order and then had to ring back in after we were given the total, because it was incorrect. After going through the order again, they still didn't get it right. The order came out in two parts, and we got an extra order of chicken nuggets on the second one and were charged for it. I just paid it and took them because by that time we were past starving and just glad to get our Chicago dogs.
There was no attempt by the order-taking staff in the restaurant or the car hop to get us any sort of discount or compensation for our patience, although the car hop did apologize profusely for our wait, mentioning that there were a lot of problems that evening.
The car hop also didn't have a pen on her so we could sign the credit card receipt, so I'm glad we had one in the car. After delivering the first order and having to return with the second part, you'd think she would have grabbed a pen, but I also heard her asking the car next to us if THEY had a pen to sign with, so maybe they don't carry them at all?
Another bad practice that is maybe left over from the previous, hideous owner is that you cannot tip on the credit card slip. Instead, they use "Ziptip" - an online tipping service that requires you to create an online account and enter your credit card information, download the app, then flag the carhop down so you can scan her Ziptip image into your phone.
Seriously, who has time for that? If you're like me and rarely carry cash, the carhop gets no tip that day. A place that cared about their staff should be like 99.9% of restaurants and allow you to tip on the receipt. Simple and easy for the customer.

All that aside, the food is good, if pricey. They don't have combo meals here. Everything is separately priced. We paid around $25 for two Chicago dogs, two fries, two root beers and a kids meal. A kids' chicken nugget meal here is $6.50 and that includes applesauce and a drink. Not a great value, but not too bad.
I think you go here for the experience, because it's nostalgic and a little better food than McDonald's. I will say their Chicago dogs are excellent - genuine poppy seed buns and nuclear green relish - just like they're supposed to be.
There is also seating at several picnic tables by the channel, which makes for a nice view if you don't want to eat in your car. Hopefully the staff gets it together. They've only been open for 5 days, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

2  Thank Heidi G
David H, Owner at Dog-N-Suds, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2015

Hello, and thanks for the review. I certainly hope that you have made the attempt to speak to the manger about your concerns. This place has been here over 50 years, and the manager has been one of the most successful in our brand. At the time of this response, we have no knowledge of your concerns, only finding about them here on Trip Advisor. That would seem to indicate you might have a grievance and have chosen this method intending to punish rather than have your voice heard in an attempt to actually resolve any issues you might have.