“Great intro to Leon!!”

Nicaragua Asi Tours
Ranked #21 of 32 Tours in Leon
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

We did the cooking class, which was such a fun experience! Our guide introduced us to some locally produced items like the cheese and some juice vendors. We made the tortillas and mastered public transportation.

We went on our first full day in the city and it was so beneficial for us to be able to ask our guide (Javier- who was super awesome!) about the food, good street vendors, costs of things, transportation etc.

All reviews
"vendors"
"guide"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 28 December 2015 via mobile

I did not expect to spend the afternoon travelling on a local bus carrying a plastic bag containing a live iguana!
The tour started with a visit to the market to buy the ingredients. And Hector enthusiastically showed me other local foodstuff such as the cheeses and sauces.
We took a bus to a quiet historic neighbourhood where we met and chatted with a few people on the way and picked up some tortillas. I unsuccessfully tried making one.
The soup was not difficult to make (although it would be hard to find iguanas in the market back home). But chatting with the family and tucking into the delicious soup thereafter was nice.
This is one of the few trips where you are upclose with Nicaraguan life and all the Nicas I met were warm and unforgettable.

2  Thank Ravneet K
Reviewed 26 March 2015

I love immersing myself in local culture when I travel, and the cooking tour made for a perfect morning. My guide picked me up from my hotel. It was just the two of us as no one else had booked, so I lucked out and had a private tour to myself. We started by walking to the market. He gave me the shopping list and we stopped at multiple vendors to get everything we needed. This is the perfect place to practice your Spanish. After shopping we hopped on a local bus for a short ride through town. That was definitely an adventure to say the least! Our first stop was a tortilla kitchen, where I got to make tortillas. It was short walk from there to the family's house that I would be cooking with. We made a chicken stew with cornmeal, mint, plantains, onions, sweet peppers, and a couple of other ingredients I'm forgetting. We also had fresh pico de gallo that we made, as well as an assortment of fresh cheeses from the market, to go with our tortillas. To wash all this good food down was a typical drink made with cornmeal, berries, sugar and water. The family was very gracious and welcoming and the kids had the brightest smiles. The best part was I only paid $22 for the tour! It's an experience I surely won't forget any time soon.

3  Thank thejetsettergirl
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked two of their tours for our group of ladies in January and we loved them both. Fantastic time on the Sutiava home cooking tour with Harry and Cesar and also on the Leon walking tour with Harry. These really made our stay in Leon. Thanks guys!

Only note is I think this is called NicAsi Tours....

1  Thank LAUrbanAdventures
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The cooking class was quite authentic and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Leon. Hector was our guide. He's very friendly and great at explaining everything to us. You literally go to the market with him to collect the necessary ingredients, then a mill to see how the cornmeal is made for the tortillas, then you make tortillas and eventually end up on the outskirts of town at home where you cook the foods. It wasn't just getting a sense of cooking, it was getting a flavor of Leon and Nicaragua as well. So concuslively worth it.

1  Thank TerpsFan05