“I thought I was in Kansas City!”
Review of Porkys House

Porkys House
Ranked #14 of 100 Restaurants in Leon
Cuisines: Barbecue, Cuban, Central American, Grill
Reviewed 11 May 2016

Most likely the best BBQ joint in Central America (really have only been to this but how many BBQ joints are there in CA?) I even put this place up with some mid tier BBQ places back in the states. In fact, we had eaten here consecutive nights it was this good. Highlights included the Lechon Cubano which was perfectly seasoned and the smoked baby back ribs. Slight drawback was the sides were only slightly above average but the service was good, great price point and the room was blasting with a cold AC to keep you cool. Do yourself a favor and make sure to check this place out when in Leon. I mean, you are going to need a break from Gallo Pinto at some point...

Reviewed 31 March 2016

I happened to meet the owner while we were standing in line at a patio bar on Good Friday. He was an elderly gentleman, attending a family celebration of a birthday. In any event he told me about his place, which turned out to be only a couple of blocks from where I was staying.

My first visit I was alone and the only diner in an air conditioned room. I had been hankering for chorizo (sausage) for a while now and there it was on the menu! There were bottled sauces (salsas) on the table like habenero chocolata which were awesome, and so was the sausage. The salad was steeped in cilantro and delicious. The beer was ice cold.

I returned the next night with a friend and had a pork steak fresh off the grill. He had something similar, and a couple of glasses of chilled white wine. We were both very happy with our meals. The beer was 30 cords per, the sausage plate was 200 cords, the pork steak was 250 cords. In Canadian dollars, that's $1.50 for the beer, $10 for the sausage plate and $12.50 for the pork steak meal. In American $$, decrease those amounts by 25%.

My only regret is that I didn't know about this place sooner! I'm going home in 2 weeks but plan one more trip to Porky's first.

1  Thank Jim V
Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

The carne rojo is excellent as well. I have dined here twice. Once solo another with a friend. My solo trip i ordered a Costillo Cerdo(pork rib) pulling off the bone NOT falling off the bone is a delicate art to master, and the have it down. The flavor was to savor and enjoy not overwhelming nor boring. The side dishes are mediocre. The 2nd trip was a humorous culinary adventure. My friend and i ordered a few things from the menú. I ordered the mini churrasco y filete el minuto from the category Carne Rojo. It was my assumption these were to be served without sides. My assumption was incorrect lol. We ended up with an enormous amount of food (looked foolish lol) however we completed 90% of the meal and shared with other patrons. Excellent choice. Excellently proportioned. MUST TRY!
If your a lover of cheese , queso y chorizo fundido will serve you well (mmmmmmmmm i could some right now)

Reviewed 9 February 2016

I hadn't been here for a while and decided to try dinner. I had a pork "steak," don't remember what cut it was in Spanish, but it wasn't ribs, had no bones, melted in my mouth, delicious sauce, and wish I could make it at home!

Service was attentive, tip was added into the bill so this time I didn't mess it up. Please folks read your bills when you dine in Nicaragua. Overtipping creates spoiled and snotty servers and ruins it for the next folks that come along. don't follow my bad example from before...

Bottom line: Highly recommended!!!

Reviewed 27 January 2016

I like about 45 minutes outside of Leon in a small town, so I tend to go into the city if I want to have some good food and a little fun. Porky's is always on our list. The Lechón Cubano meal or anything with the cuban pork on the menu is awesome. I would probably eat here everyday if I could! The service is, as usual in Nicaragua, hit or miss but they will make sure you get what you need. The atmosphere is rustic and fun and I'm always surprised how little people know about this place. It deserves to be a bigger deal.