“Cute and fun”

Ranked #38 of 154 Restaurants in Plymouth
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2017

We took my mother in law here for a belated Mother's Day celebration, and it was really nice. They do require reservations, so make sure you plan ahead. We all had the high tea and everyone was happy with their selections. You get to choose your tea, 2 sandwiches, a scone, and 2 little pastries. I had the chamomile tea, cucumber and chicken salad sandwiches, the plain scone with cream and jam, and the chocolate mousse and butter raisin pastries. All of them were very good. Portions are small, but that was expected so I wasn't disappointed. And the price is much better than a lot of places in the area that do high tea/afternoon tea. We liked it a lot. :)

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

My friend and I went with an authentic British man. He said the Sweet Afton Tea Room was like being in London so I will take him at his word. I love the tea settings in different patterns. He chose our tea and all of us went with the Black teas ... no Herbal for me.

I had the chicken broccoli broth soup and it was awesome. One person had the Manchester and said it was quite good. The cheddar cheese biscuits were good but not all as good as what I read about. Personally I think the cheese biscuits at Red Lobster I'm much better.

Our guy waiter was absolutely fantastic. The bathrooms are cute. A very friendly place to go on a very London-ish day... meaning it was misting rain and cloudy.

I would go back again. Prices seem kind of high to me.. but then again I don't go to tea houses but once in a blue moon.

1  Thank Lovin2Travel15
Reviewed 6 January 2017

I took my seven year old granddaughter here for lunch while she was on Christmas break. The service was excellent and the restaurant is very charming. The tea was the perfect temperature and very tasty. The food was quite disappointing. I ordered the High Tea and my granddaughter had the Little Princess tea. To say it was overpriced is an understatement the tea sandwiches and the quiches were not just small, they were minuscule, the bread was dry and they put about a half teaspoon of filling on them. The quiche was good but the serving was so small it was hard to even get a taste. The scones should have been the best part but they were dry and tasteless. I've wanted to go here for a long time and I might go back but I would only order a pot of tea.

2  Thank KEH1950
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

We are lifelong Plymouth residents. My mother has always wanted to take her daughters and granddaughters to tea here and yesterday we did it. Our reservation was for 11:30 and we arrived at 11:40 partly due to difficulty finding parking in the area. Not crazy late by any stretch. We were seated but nobody acknowledged us until 12:05. And then it was to tell us that because we arrived late we may have to be rushed as they needed the table at 1:30. Seriously? We assured her we would be done by then but I wanted to say if time was of the essence they may not have wanted to leave us sitting there for 25 mins before even bringing us the menus. But Mom didn't want to rock the boat, you know, so I stayed quiet.

Tea was fine and we had paid the bill and were gathering our things at 1:20 or so when we were again told by our server that we had to leave as the table needed to be turned over. Yet nobody was coming in and nobody was waiting for a table, it was actually pretty deserted and quiet. It really felt like we were getting the bum's rush yet we are all well groomed and polite!

Bottom line, the attitude of the staff really marred what should have been a lovely family experience. Apparently nobody there cares about customer service....

3  Thank Michigantravelers7
Reviewed 7 December 2016

My girlfriends and I decided to eat here for lunch. I ordered the Quiche of the Day which had veggies in it. It came with a cheddar muffin and a side salad. It was very tasty and light. My friends got the shepherd's pie and the Tavern's sandwich. We all enjoyed our meals. We each got our own tea but shared to try the different types. I got the Tangerine flavor one which I liked the best. My friend got one that tasted like licorice.

The place is homey with table clothed tables and cute tea pots that come in different array of tea cups. The owner told us that she has a special tea for the Christmas Season that includes an array on yummy sounding items. I guess you have to book that early as it is quite popular.

2  Thank Laura T

Been to Sweet Afton Tea Room? Share your experiences!