“Cute, but....”

Ranked #72 of 148 Restaurants in Plymouth
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2017

This is a "cute" place with a tea theme. There are vintage teapots and cups and even teacup chandeliers. Disclaimer: I don't like tea very much so maybe the atmosphere is lost on me.

The food is very average and includes quiche,soup and tea sandwiches with themed names The Robert Burns etc) I've tried several things on the menu and always felt underwhelmed. Service is very spotty and often you will wait a long time between ordering and actually being served. I wouldn't go back but friends like it for its charm.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

The ambiance is absolutely wonderful with elegant teapots abounding and even tea cup chandeliers. A favorite for the ladies. After a family group left, I was the only male in a crowd of 18 customers but, nevertheless, it was perfect for my wife, me and our two young granddaughters. The food is quite ordinary and unexceptional. My wife had the tiny tea sandwiches, the girls had strawberry cream cheese sandwiches and I had chicken pot pie which wasn't that good although the vegetable lentil soup was excellent. You pay for the ambiance, not so much for the food .

Reviewed 25 May 2017

We took my mother in law here for a belated Mother's Day celebration, and it was really nice. They do require reservations, so make sure you plan ahead. We all had the high tea and everyone was happy with their selections. You get to choose your tea, 2 sandwiches, a scone, and 2 little pastries. I had the chamomile tea, cucumber and chicken salad sandwiches, the plain scone with cream and jam, and the chocolate mousse and butter raisin pastries. All of them were very good. Portions are small, but that was expected so I wasn't disappointed. And the price is much better than a lot of places in the area that do high tea/afternoon tea. We liked it a lot. :)

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

My friend and I went with an authentic British man. He said the Sweet Afton Tea Room was like being in London so I will take him at his word. I love the tea settings in different patterns. He chose our tea and all of us went with the Black teas ... no Herbal for me.

I had the chicken broccoli broth soup and it was awesome. One person had the Manchester and said it was quite good. The cheddar cheese biscuits were good but not all as good as what I read about. Personally I think the cheese biscuits at Red Lobster I'm much better.

Our guy waiter was absolutely fantastic. The bathrooms are cute. A very friendly place to go on a very London-ish day... meaning it was misting rain and cloudy.

I would go back again. Prices seem kind of high to me.. but then again I don't go to tea houses but once in a blue moon.

1  Thank Lovin2Travel15
Reviewed 6 January 2017

I took my seven year old granddaughter here for lunch while she was on Christmas break. The service was excellent and the restaurant is very charming. The tea was the perfect temperature and very tasty. The food was quite disappointing. I ordered the High Tea and my granddaughter had the Little Princess tea. To say it was overpriced is an understatement the tea sandwiches and the quiches were not just small, they were minuscule, the bread was dry and they put about a half teaspoon of filling on them. The quiche was good but the serving was so small it was hard to even get a taste. The scones should have been the best part but they were dry and tasteless. I've wanted to go here for a long time and I might go back but I would only order a pot of tea.

1  Thank KEH1950