“Excellent Food”
Review of E G Nick's

E G Nick's
Ranked #24 of 153 Restaurants in Plymouth
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

EG Nicks is part of a family of restaurants around Livingston and Oakland County. Each one of the restaurants have a few menu items in common (like breadsticks, bbq ribs) but each generally has its own personality and unique menu.
This location is in downtown Plymouth. There's lots of neat shopping around and parking is fairly decent - there's a couple big lots within walking distance if you can't get street parking.
We came in for lunch on the Saturday of the July 4th weekend. We decided to sit outside. They have a pretty cool outside seating area and an inside area that butts up to it, but is technically inside. There were several other couples out there, the inside of the restaurant was completely empty when we arrived, but it was a gorgeous day, so that wasn't a surprise.
We were seated quickly, able to choose our table and our server came out and took our drink order quickly. She took a while to return with our drinks and we watched as the other tables were served by two other servers, so we were her only table.
She was nice, took our food order and brought bread. Their breadsticks are TO DIE FOR. If you aren't eating bread or carbs for some reason, ask them to not bring bread. Because once it's there, forget it. You HAVE to have some. It's freshly baked and amazing.
Anyway, our food took a while to come and when it did, my husband's meatloaf sliders were actually meatloaf. When we called it to the server's attention, she looked confused about what a slider was and went back to ask. She was gone a long time.
In the meantime, I started to eat my lunch, which was the Herb Encrusted Boston Blue. It was delicious. Fresh and tasty, I would order it again in a minute.
By the time I was done eating, our server returned, apologized and offered to box of the mistaken meal for my husband to take home, at no charge, and she would put in his original request. He said sure and his sliders came out more quickly than the first meal.
The server didn't return to refill our drinks or bring our bill after that - she had one other table and she hadn't returned to them either. It was at this point when I became convinced that she was new. She didn't take the dishes from the table, she just didn't have that experienced server 'thing' going on.
The other servers definitely did - they were on top of it.
We asked the host, who was bussing, if she could ask our server to bring our check. She offered to fill our drinks and got my husband a to-go cup, which was great. Our server didn't come back out - instead a manager came out with our bill, apologized, told us the 'wrong' meal was on the house and he had also discounted our bill. I asked if she was new, he confirmed.
Also, side note, the music was some kind of alternative station - it wasn't overly loud and I really enjoyed it!
I told him she'd still done a good job, was very pleasant. They handled this well, the food was excellent. We'll definitely be back!

1  Thank Danielle S

Reviewed 15 June 2016

Summer time music in Kellogg Park, enjoying dining in outside seating. My friend and I decided to dine at E G Nicks. We wanted to eat outside but it was a 45 minute wait. So we dined inside by the bar which was nice in a booth. Tables with chairs also available as well as seating at the long bar.

We decided to share the Planked whitefish and the Apple Orchard salad. Both give you ample portions. Both delicious in their own food groups. The fresh lake Superior white fish was served seasoned on an oak plank with duchess mashed potatoes and stir fried vegetables. The salad had fresh mixed greens, grilled chicken, apple slices, toasted walnuts, sun dried cranberries, sweet red onion, and bits of Parmesan cheese served with poppy seed salad dressing. The restaurant is a bit dim for night time dining.

Waiter was friendly, efficient and helpful in making suggestions. Right before we left on a Friday night they started to do trivia. All in all a delicious meal.

1  Thank Laura T
Reviewed 18 May 2016

Food was great here and drinks excellent. Enjoyed a nice leisurely lunch with friends. Had the Reuben sandwich, friends had the burger and someone else had a chicken dish. All enjoyed their meals.

1  Thank FoodieforShore
Reviewed 24 April 2016

We had a group of 20 plus people and they handled the group very well. The food came out hot and everyone had their food.

1  Thank Bob K
Reviewed 16 April 2016

E.G. Nick's has great food, and a very professionally determined, courteous, helpful wait staff. We ate this particular with the family elders (one 93, and the other 96). They prepared my Grandmother's birthday cake despite a local school function AND a trivia game. Had the Reuben sandwich. Would definitely return.

1  Thank m3feenix

Been to E G Nick's? Share your experiences!