See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 June 2011

These people should NOT be in the hosptality business. The place was nice but they were SUPER RUDE. We schedualed a special early check in at 1pm. When we arrived at 130 they told us we could not come in. I feel asleep on the couch while reading, and was wokedn up and told i was not ALLOWED to fall asleep on the couch. They made our stay very uncomfortable.

Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank ALeahs
SerendipityBandB, Owner at Serendipity Bed & Breakfast & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

This was a reservation we helped a fellow B&B owner out with when they could not meet the guests needs. In the process information was lost and we at Serendipity had no idea that this group expected to check in at 1:00 pm and have a family meeting. Our understanding was that a meeting would take place the following morning after breakfast but apparently the agreement with the original B&B owner was that there would be two meetings. We did not get that information and so of course were not prepared when they arrived. They got very upset because of course they thought everything was all set. We adjusted and the meeting took place but it got things off to a very bad start. The young woman who wrote the review had an air of ownership of the space and felt that since they had paid for the use of the B&B rooms and the dining room for their meeting that it seemed to mean she could sleep anywhere she wanted (her words) including spending the night on the couch in our sun room.

This was our first experience hosting a business oriented group and it was very different than the guests who come to Saugatuck to enjoy our lovely town.

Reviewed 3 January 2011

Listen up TripAdvisor Nation...The new owners here are getting a bad deal from old reviews...After we researched this B+B and stayed at Serendipity we asked the owner about the bad reviews and were surprised to learn that not only are they the new owners but when David bought the B+B he changed the name to Serendipity the Trip Advisor reviews from the previous owner came with their new business. This seems a bit unfair by TripAdvisor (which i worship and trust for all our travel) and so i wanted to post this and allow anyone to contact me with questions they may have. My wife and i absolutely love Saugatuck Douglas and how well we are treated when we stay at Serendipity Bed and Breakfast...My mother-in-law and wife even stayed there in the "Stable Studio" and my wife still raves about the hash brown casserole when they went on a recent shopping trip and we are PICKY about clean , safe and nice places to stay. Thanks for your time and enjoy Michigan's West Coast and TripAdvisor...Please review your Rating Standards for new business owners! Pierre and Amanda

Date of stay: June 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Snorkelerer
Reviewed 23 December 2010

We had a wonderful weekend in Saugutuck staying in the Music Room, with friends were in the Library Room. June and David were wonderful hosts, anticipating our every need, and giving us great recommendations for things to do and places to eat. Breakfast was great. We cannot wait to visit again.

When I was writing this, I noted there were two old reviews (from 2007). Talking with June and David, it is my understanding they opened Serendipity only in 2009, buying what had previously been the Mason Street Suites. I suggest ignoring those two reviews.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2010

We went there to spend a special anniversary evening. It was not!
One of the first things we noticed was a sign above the sink in the kitchen asking guests to do their own dishes. I have never heard of such a thing, when one is paying the prices we were. We were insulted by this request. There was also another sign near the bed saying not to use the decorative pillows, etc.
We also noticed that the freezer was so caked with ice it could not be used at all, no ice and no way to make any.
When we found a large spider on the bed, that was about the last straw. When we arrived home, I emailed and told the owner about the problems and asked if he would consider issuing us a partial refund since there were so many issues not to our liking. And because this B&B was, in our opinion quite pricey. He told us we should have told him about the problems right then. Well first shouldn't they have the freezer up and running, waiting for the next guest? I told him we didn't feel like getting out of bed when we discovered there was no ice and go to his door at that time of night. I explained it was our anniversary, but he didn't seem to care. Bottom line after many emails back and forth, he said he would refund us an amount that was less than 1/3 of the cost of our stay. So not a person I would ever want to deal with again.

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2009

As I read the reviews in front of this, I have to say, I am a bit confused, Did new owners take over? My family has booked the bottom floor of this establishement many times and have had nothing but fun. We stay for about 3-4 days and never have any problems.

Date of stay: August 2008