“I really like this place, favorite Ethiopian restaurant”
Review of Taste of Ethiopia

Taste of Ethiopia
Ranked #20 of 212 Restaurants in Southfield
Reviewed 26 April 2015

This review maybe a little bias because I love Ethiopian food. (By the way I am a young Caucasian male, no ties with this culture what so ever)
I have been to 2 other Ethiopian restaurants before I went here, and I enjoyed the food, so before going into this restaurant I had high expectations

When entering the restaurant the owner of the establishment greeted us with very friendly open arms (Even though…she is not that sociable).

The service was good; she was the only person stationing the restaurant. Between preparing our food she would make sure that we were satisfied and accommodated. She notified us about the different kinds of food, and gave great recommendations. Our food was served fairly quickly

Now some people have different tastes.. I brought someone here who did not favour the food, but still ate it. If you do like Ethiopian food then I highly, highly recommend coming here

The place was decently clean for me. The interior design is nothing special or flashy. You can tell they try to fashion the restaurant with their history and culture, which I highly admire.
Just sitting in that restaurant I reviewed their art work, artifacts, and their historic tidbits facts of information that they had stored around their restaurant, and I learned a few interesting things

I had a good experience here. Some people may have different opinions about this place, but I liked it and will come back

Let’s just say if this place closed down I will be very, very sad

1  Thank Joe D

Reviewed 16 April 2015

If you haven't tried Ethiopian food, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how deliciously different it is. We always order the vegetarian platter and the cinnamon tea is delicious too. They do serve alcohol and have a lunch buffet. The food is very affordable and if you already like Ethiopian, you'll be glad to know that this is the best in the Detroit area. The owner is very friendly to all and children are welcome.

3  Thank Gerri B
Reviewed 24 February 2015

My son and I tried this place out while we were in Southfiled for a day of shopping. We were not disappointed. Hidden in a strip mall on Southfield Road, this cozy restaurant served a wide variety of both meat and vegan dishes to suit every appetite. Also on the menu are a variety of tropical juices, raw juices, smoothies, and teas. We started with an appetizer of samosa (deep fried pastry filled with potatoes! carrots, and peas). Very good! Next for our main course, my teenage son had the chicken stew, while I chose a spicy lamb dish. We look forward to coming back and bringing my wife with us next time.

2  Thank BigWig724
Reviewed 16 September 2014

Good food, friendly service, homely atmosphere.Limited dishes, nothing very special. Small place for family dinner.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were so pleased with the food at this quaint, little place, hidden away in a strip mall. My husband and I are vegan and there were so MANY dishes to choose from.

The owner, Hiyaw, served us and and she was just a delight. It was my first experience with Ethiopian food and I was very impressed. She makes her own Ethiopian flatbread (injera) from the Ethiopian indigenous grain called teff. I had never even heard of it before and it was wonderful! We bought some to take home. But wait, there's more... they even have SMOOTHIES! OMG. I wish we had found this restaurant on the first day of our trip, instead of the last. All of the food was fresh, well prepared and super tasty!

HIGHLY recommend this place! Thank you, Hiyaw!

1  Thank Trinity8008