“Excellent...in all the right ways.”
Review of Pastries By Ellen

Pastries By Ellen
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Sylvan Lake
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 21 July 2015

I had the Cubano Sandwich and GREEK SALAD. BOTH WERE EXTREMELY delicious. I also had a almond honey croissant. Everything from the food to the simple decor to the service was top notch. You must visit this place for breakfast or lunch. I is a little boutique cafe/bakery restaurant.

Reviewed 22 February 2015 via mobile

Just picked up a carryout. My wife and I had a roasted beet salad and a Cubano sandwich. Both were excellent! Also had slice of carrot cake and key lime tart. Also excellent! Very friendly in there.

Reviewed 15 February 2015

This cafe is a gem. Yes, there are delicious breakfasts with inventive blends of ingredients (from French toasts made with Ellen's own bread to sophisticated omelettes to phenomenal "loaded" oatmeal). And yes, there are amazing lunches with Ellen's breads for sandwiches and, again, wonderful unique combinations of flavors that will surprise and delight you. And, yes, the homemade soups are simply great! But, it's PASTRIES by Ellen and if you don't treat yourself to items in the pastry display, if even as a carry-out, you'll be missing a key bit of Ellen's magic. Her pastries are truly gourmet quality; beautiful to behold and beyond delicious. Special favorites of ours are her flour-less chocolate torte, the melt-in-your mouth croissants, decadent pecan bars, and any of the countless full or mini-sized picture perfect desserts. The waitstaff are pleasant and experienced. The environment is all cafe (for the moment - prior to an eagerly awaited soon-to-come expansion). The patrons are cordial and neighborly. For breakfast on the weekend, arrive as early as you can comfortably make it to get the best opportunity for a quick table seat. Otherwise, you may have a brief wait alongside the display racks of Ellen's delicious breads (most all available as toast options for breakfast!).

Reviewed 19 December 2014

Ellen's is a little cafe in a non-descript shopping plaza on Orchard Lake Rd. in Sylvan Lake, MI. I go there for breakfast after hockey a number of Sunday mornings per month. The food is superb. The prices are fair. Get there before 10am so you don't have to wait (they have an adequate # of seats/tables, but do get busy). I certainly recommend their breakfast. They also have a pastry counter where the stuff looks great (but because I am a highly disciplined individual, and oh so rugged player of the ice arts, I have not purchased any of these caloric goods, thus can not attest to their gustatory virtue).

Reviewed 20 November 2014

Ellen's Bakery & Cafe also goes by the name Pastries by Ellen.

We bought our wedding cake here because Ellen had designed a cake for my grandparent's wedding anniversary years ago.

The tasting was amazing! We talked about flavors of cake we wanted and fillings and she prepared these exact flavors for us. She let us mix and match cakes with fillings. This was the BEST tasting ever!

The wedding cake on the other hand was a different story. The cake was beautiful, however, the top layer was raw. It was a good thing my husband and I did not do the traditional "save the cake for the year anniversary" because it was fully raw. I called the day after the wedding and Ellen tried to say that she worked with the cake and it might have seemed raw but it really wasn't. She also was going to write us a check to reimburse us for the top layer. She did, but only after a month later when I called about it again. One of the layers was as I remembered tasting, but the other seemed different.

I love Ellen and her work, but I wasn't as happy with my experience as I had hoped.