“Gluten free dining made simple!”

The Dog & Badger Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Medmenham
Price range: US$8 - US$59
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Dog and Badger reopened in July 2015 as a free house after an extensive refurbishment over 18 months. The original building has been restored to retain its charm and a new Oak framed space has been added to house the main bar and the new state-of-the art open kitchen with its wood-fired oven and charcoal grill. The 60 seat restaurant serves seasonal contemporary dishes all prepared with locally sourced ingredients wherever possible. The kitchen has its own large vegetable and herb garden at the back of Gillman's Cottage. Breakfast is served from 8am to midday with bar snacks and meals including many pub favourites available in the bar and snug areas from 11am through until 10pm. A beautiful terrace has been added for alfresco drinking and dining. The private dining suite accommodates up to 14 for business meetings or a private lunch or dinner and 30 for a less formal occasion. The adjacent Gillman's Cottage has 6 luxury bedrooms all with private bathrooms and air conditioning. We very much look forward to welcoming you to The Dog and Badger!
Reviewed 14 June 2018

We booked to stay here this week based on the fact that the menu offered such a wide choice of gluten free options, both for evening meal and breakfast.

From beginning to end, our stay was absolutely perfect. We arrived and were swiftly shown to our accommodation. 'Honeysuckle' set aside from the main building in a cottage with its own entrance overlooking the garden and very quiet apart from the birdsong which is never a complaint. We took a walk down the quiet lane opposite to the Thames and watch kites soaring overhead.

Then back for our evening meal in a delightful restaurant within the main building. Fellow coeliacs, take note.... Beautiful succulent chicken breast marinaded in lime, yoghurt and chipotle, served in a tasty gluten free roll, with red onion marmalade and all the trimmings, followed by white chocolate cheesecake on a ginger base served with stem ginger ice cream. Just feast your eyes on the choices on the menu and if you are lucky enough to stay over, do the same for the breakfast menu, although I know you can also drop by for breakfast too if you aren't staying over. We are already planning a return trip.

The accommodation is quite remarkable. The best bed ever, in fact we are now looking at replacing our own with the same brand. Nespresso coffee machine, tea making facility too. Very comfortable furnishings including a window seat area and a table and chairs too. The bathroom had to be seen to be believed and the mod cons, that have been taken into consideration when planning the facilities on offer are second to none. A jacuzzi style bath and even a steam room. A bit of a shock though as there is a timer on it, which we were unaware of and to much hilarity the steam room came on at 3.28 am and on venturing into the bathroom for the necessary night time visit, I was greeted by thick fog. Haha!

So, a HUGE thank you to all at the Dog and Badger for making our stay such a good one. Attempts will be made to add a couple of pics at the end of this review.

1  Thank Sallie1962

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Had lunch with a friends - our first visit. Car Park is angled - we reversed into the space thankfully which was very tight - would hate to of driven in and had to reverse out. Barman was very welcoming. There was a nice bar area with comfy sofas and chairs - modern light and airy. The restaurant was nice - modern twist to an old building. Decking area outside the bar. Service was good. We had drinks inside - a couple of not very well behaved dogs in there but I like dogs so wasn't that bothered during drinks. We swapped our table inside as restaurant was hot and had a nice café table outside. The menu we thought was overpriced for what it was. We picked the calamari - it all came well presented but way overcooked - batter had completely fallen off all the portions - disappointing. The ambience of the place was nice and the staff were friendly. If you have dogs then you will love this place as you can take them in the bar and restaurant which is very rare. The problem for us was peoples' dogs were running around unchecked under and around our table and sniffing out the food trying to jump up. We were worried the table would go over. We finished and left as it wasn't a relaxing enjoyable meal guarding your food - this was totally unexpected as we had not read the reviews about all the dogs there. I would suggest a policy of only well behaved dogs that sit with owners not running around trying to eat from other diners tables. We were unanimous that we would not return - shame. It gets 3 stars for the nice staff - would have been one for the unhygienic nuisance eating conditions caused by owners not controlling the considerable number of dogs there..

2  Thank regulartraveller01
Reviewed 6 June 2018

It’s the first time I’ve been to the Dog and Badger since it’s been refurbished, when I walked in the staff were very friendly and welcoming, the breakfast was lovely and the service was brilliant, and the best thing was my dog was allowed in the bar area which is a very big plus in my eyes, and my dog was welcomed too. I look forward to going back and enjoying many more meal there. I look forward to staying in one of the rooms for my birthday and having a birthday get together in July

Oakman I, Manager at The Dog & Badger Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Dogs being part of our guest's families, it's important that they are made to feel welcome too and I'm glad we were able to give you a fantastic time with us.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Benn Kempster

Reviewed 2 June 2018

We went for lunch this time. The service was bad.We had to ask for drinks despite being seated not 4 yards from the bar which had two people supposedly serving. We then had to ask for menus. We were shown to a table about halfway down the restaurant and we could have been all but invisible for the attention we got. Do not fall for the description of the garlic prawns on the starter menu. It has 4 or 5 boiled prawns under a tomato based sludge. Disgusting. The oil in which batter coated fish were fried tasted old and stale.
My flat white coffee came cold and once again I had to go and fetch someone to get it changed. I even told them that the coffee base should be espresso topped with foaming milk. What I got was stewed weak filter coffee with added milk albeit hot this time. I've tried this restaurant on several occasions and been disappointed each time.

2  Thank Sally W
Reviewed 24 May 2018

The Dog & Badger has recently changed hands and a massive change in quality.

There is a lovely seating area in the front of the restaurant, there is insufficient signage and no staff to welcome you or advise you of their ordering system. It is a muddle, half table service half order at the bar. The pricing would suggest that it would be table service.

The staff working on our last visit appeared bored, uninterested and surly.

I had a steak, it was not good, one of those things, it happens but the staff avoided our table as they could see the uneaten piece of meat and had no training or experience in how to deal with this. So just tried to take the plate away without asking if there was anything wrong. I did get this removed from the bill.

My wife's food was good.

So, I will give them another go but hope they get their act together, make clear how they are going to run their service and have whichever route they go reflected in the signage and pricing.

3  Thank Philip R

In taking over our wonderful building, we do note offer the same experience as under the previous management and we do indeed offer meals both in the bar and the restaurant which caters for both informal and formal dining experiences. We hope to be able to offer different things to different people so as not to appear to be too "bracketed".

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive the greeting we'd have expected you to get. Are you able to provide any more detail to enquiries@oakmaninns.co.uk with regard to the date, time and name that you booked under so that we can investigate this more fully.

I'm glad to hear that the issues you raised directly with our staff at the time were resolved quickly; not to make excuses in any way, but we will ALWAYS replace food that our guests are not happy with in order to recover the service prior to you leaving.

I really hope that this will go a way towards setting your expectations for the next time you visit us.

Kind regards,