“Great place for a sandwich”
Review of The Lakes Edge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Lakes Edge
Ranked #19 of 25 Restaurants in Whitehall
Reviewed 14 September 2017

I had the Cuban. The pork was smokey and the ham was great. I asked for "easy on the mustard" but there was still more than I wanted. Perhaps because I wanted to enjoy the meats. They were delicious! My dining companion had the Reuben. Very good. The service was good and we were seated by the window with a view out over the marina. The only bad thing I can say is they were out of the first two beers we chose.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Orchard Burger, the first one on the menu. Go no further!
I don't know why I even tried a burger with peach and pear chutney, but I did and boy, am I glad.
Mind you, it also came with bacon and cheese (I substituted cheddar for the Brie that was on the menu) but it was unbelievable. Aged beef, real cheese and fresh chutney in season.
The group also had some kind of cheese dip pointed cracker with awesome cheese sauce that was great. Beer dip with pretzels were just ok.
Homemade potatoe chips were great. Homemade bread and butter pickles were great.
Everyone loved their food.
Not expensive.
Shame I live fifteen hours away.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

New restaurant in town, with updated decor. Service remains slow and a little disorganized, Good menu with great options. My wife ordered the vegetarian sandwich and it came with pork and bacon. Server blamed it on kitchen staff but they all dropped the ball on this.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

August 18, 2017

The Lake's Edge did a wonderful job on remodeling the building - roomy, open, an inviting atmosphere. A place where you wouldn't mind spending some time. We waited about 10 minutes as the place was full.

Service was adequate. Not overly checking on us, but attentive. The food was a little long coming out, but nothing unusual for a new business figuring it all out.

Now onto the rest...This place is LOUD and NOISEY! To the point that it was very uncomfortable and our ears were hurting. Next time we will go for an early dinner or at an off hour to avoid the crowd.

First glance at the menu turned up some interesting choices, many that sounded wonderful and it was hard to decide what to try for a first visit. On second glance the food and beverages were over priced! So my expectation was that they made up for it with large portions. I guess the size of the water glass should have been a clue. No more that 8 ounces and so full of ice there wasn't any room for water. When I asked for a larger glass of water she offered a carafe of water for the table, which worked out fine.

I finally decided to give it the ribeye test. Even though it was more than I would spend on one, it's something I like to do when I visit a new place. If they pass that, there on the list!

No bread to accompany the meal. Nothing offered to snack on for starters. Salad was the skimpiest thing I've ever seen. I mean skimpy. A small bread plate with greens, a small onion slice, two cucumber slices and very small piece of tomato. When my meal came I thought - you're kidding! A large dinner plate and on it sat a 14 oz ribeye, one small ice cream scoop of potatoes and an orchid on the plate for a garnish. Not good marks for presentation, it looked cheap. Really with a $23 meal.

The salad greens looked on the dry side, but not wilted. The blue cheese dressing was very good, one of the better one's I've had. The ribeye had nice grill grill marks and was full of flavor. I ordered it med-rare, however it was on the rare side. For being 28 day aged beef it was a little chewy and some sinew. Not as tender as what I would have expected. The Chipotle Asiago Potatoes were tasteless, dry, and room temperature warm. They needed lots of butter, way more cheese and more chipotle to kick it up. Definitely not worth the price tag. Would not order the ribeye again. Way over priced. They could have added another side to the meal, but if you want that it costs an extra $3.

My husband had the walleye. Portion was small with one small to average sized piece of fish with one scoop of potatoes also. Oh, don't forget the orchid garnish! The fish was good what there was of it. He felt the same way about the potatoes, nothing special. Tiny salad.

Will I go back? Sure. Some of the sandwich portions and other plates looked much better at a more reasonable price. We want to try the BBQ - pulled pork, brisket, burnt ends, ribs. Hope it's everything they say it is.

Given time they will probably figure it out, as it has only been open a few days. Hopefully, they will take the constructive criticism and tweak the portions and give you more for your money.

1  Thank MJOutofTown