“Decent food, but unpleasant wait person ruined evening”
Review of The Lakes Edge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Lakes Edge
Ranked #13 of 25 Restaurants in Whitehall
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I want this restaurant to be successful. It has a great menu and a respectable beer list. We arrived at 5:30 for our reservation and were immediately seated. The happy part of our evening ended there. We reviewed the menu, wine list and craft beer lists. When my husband tried to order a listed beer, he was brusquely told, "We don't have that." He asked for another from the list, told the same thing. He ordered a third beer, When it arrived, it was in a can! Why was it listed as a draft beer? Then, when I ordered my choice, I was told, "We don't have figs, so canned peaches are being used instead." So, I tried a second menu item, chicken, and was told they didn't have it. I finally ordered a burger. We were with my elderly aunts and uncles. One of their meals arrived a full seven minutes after all of the others with no explanation. We were not asked if we wanted drink refills or dessert. The burger was all right, but when you order onion rings for an upcharge, three arrive with the meal. The bill is handled electronically at the table. My aunt and uncle (late 70's) tried to pay, the waitress insisted they had to check an 18% tip to get their bill paid. Her poor effort and horrible attitude deserved a much smaller tip, and she took advantage of their unfamiliarity with tech devices to get an undeserved tip. I hope they can get things under control here and train their waitstaff to at least represent a pleasant demeanor. Once the tourists leave you need the local support to stay afloat.

1  Thank MSUmindy

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I really want to like this place but they need to get their act together. Dinner with out-of-town guests the Friday of Labor Day. They appear to feature barbecue on the menu but when one of our party ordered something from that section she was told they were out of all the barbecue items. We asked how they could run out so early (it was 5pm) and waitress said that the kitchen hadn't smoked enough barbecue the day before. It's a holiday weekend and you're out of all items in this section? Would have been better to have told us they were out of all these items as we were being seated vs. waiting until we ordered. Fish in the fish & chips wasn't cooked (as in raw) and had to be sent back; black bean burger was missing the avocado spread (had to hunt down waitress to ask for it) and the person having the Italian beef barely touched her sandwich as she said it just wasn't that good. We were all disappointed in the meal (though the Brussels sprouts appetizer was good). Wait staff was earnest but inattentive. On the positive side, the menu is expansive, there's a good number of vegetarian items and there's a nice selection of wines by bottle and glass. They need to work on the basics - food prep, quality, fulfilling expectations set by menu, service, etc. I will give them another try in a couple of months when they have had a chance to get the kinks out and will hopefully write a much more positive review.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I had the Cuban. The pork was smokey and the ham was great. I asked for "easy on the mustard" but there was still more than I wanted. Perhaps because I wanted to enjoy the meats. They were delicious! My dining companion had the Reuben. Very good. The service was good and we were seated by the window with a view out over the marina. The only bad thing I can say is they were out of the first two beers we chose.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Orchard Burger, the first one on the menu. Go no further!
I don't know why I even tried a burger with peach and pear chutney, but I did and boy, am I glad.
Mind you, it also came with bacon and cheese (I substituted cheddar for the Brie that was on the menu) but it was unbelievable. Aged beef, real cheese and fresh chutney in season.
The group also had some kind of cheese dip pointed cracker with awesome cheese sauce that was great. Beer dip with pretzels were just ok.
Homemade potatoe chips were great. Homemade bread and butter pickles were great.
Everyone loved their food.
Not expensive.
Shame I live fifteen hours away.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

New restaurant in town, with updated decor. Service remains slow and a little disorganized, Good menu with great options. My wife ordered the vegetarian sandwich and it came with pork and bacon. Server blamed it on kitchen staff but they all dropped the ball on this.