“The San Diego of Grand Rapids”
Review of Tacos El Caporal

Tacos El Caporal
Ranked #18 of 134 Restaurants in Wyoming
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 21 June 2017

This. Is Mexican food in Grand Rapids. How can I say that with authenticity? I lived in Southern California (San Diego) for almost 15 years and had the pleasure of eating authentic Mexican food both north of and south of "The Border." While visiting family in Michigan recently, my family INSISTED that we visit Tacos El Caporal for some authentic Mexican food. I did. And I will be back. Carne asada tacos? I'll have two. Guacamole? I'll eat yours. Radishes? Onions? Jalapeno sides? Seconds please. While the decor is unassuming you will be transported with the first bite to an authentic Mexican taqueria and forget you are somewhere in the Midwest. I look forward to a visit or take out each time I visit "home" - Grand Rapids. Highly recommend if you are hankering for a no-frills, real-deal, authentic Mexican food experience.

3  Thank MICANJNCGirl

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

I visited the Wyoming, Michigan location and I have now been there 5 times in the month of June. I have brought tons of people in to try it because I think their steak tacos are hard to beat. The cilantro on them is the perfect touch. I love the service there. It's also so busy with take out orders but they're still able to keep up with the people dining inside.

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

I will start with the positive - my steak tacos were pretty good, the fried green onions were ok but the radishes were a disappointment.
They were busy so I understood a delay but the couple who ordered directly in front of is for their order a full 15 min ahead of us with several going out between. They seemed very disorganized.
My husband ordered a wet burrito. Unfortunately we witnessed them opening a GFS can and dump that into the sauce container and then ladle it onto his burrito. No jazzing it up or anything. Then they placed that in the microwave. It was just not good.
The shrimp tacos were good but way too spicy and there was nothing to indicate that they would be that spicy. Since they were ordered for my daughter it would have been nice to know that.
The tamale was just flavorless and for lack of a better word gross.
I will never spend my hard earned money there again.

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

Must try the Alambre?? The guacamole is made fresh to order. Delicious every time we go. The service is a bit lacking. Fast but not a lot of chit chat but I think its because they are so busy. Food is always hot and fast. Authentic!!!

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

We've tried every little taco stand close by and this place is the best...hands down! Only down side is its always packed.