“Amazing Food”

Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 24 January 2018

Northern Waters Smokehaus

Northern Waters Smokehaus is located on the main floor of the Dewitt-Seitz building in Canal Park. The business started in 2001. When they started, their space was very tiny, and they were smoking one fish at a time, and now they have a great business and are smoking multiple fish at a time.

The deli/restaurant is a smaller area, but has great food; you walk in, and to your right, the first thing you see is a deli of smoked meats and fish. Then you see the menu behind the deli, and you walk about ten steps to order your sandwich. The restaurant is small in size, so they have limited seating, about 10 bar stools to sit on and 2 tables in the hallway, and in summer outdoor seating on a patio with picnic tables. The colors and decorations go together well, and their smells are the best smells if you like the smell of smoked salmon and other fish. The atmosphere is welcoming, the lights are not too bright, but not too dim, the music is quiet but not too quiet, and it just has a fun atmosphere.

I would not recommend it if you are in a hurry, but if you have time, I would recommend it. The wait time depends on what time of day it is; if the time of day is lunch time, it about a 20-45 minute wait, but if it is later in the day, around after four it is a 5-10 minute wait.

The food there is delicious. So many flavors come into your mouth at the same time. My personal favorite is the cold turkey sandwich at $9.25. It is a good price for a great sandwich. The sandwich contains stirato bread, smoked turkey, Swiss cheese, lettuce, and craisin-walnut mayo sauce. They also offer different assortments of smoked meats and fish along with their sandwiches. Some things they offer are Lake Superior smoked lake trout, smoked salmon pate, porketta, smoked polish sausage, and dried-cured salamini. The price range for sandwiches is around 8-13 dollars.

Northern Waters Smokehaus is excellent with great service, great food, and friendly staff. It would be nice if it wasn’t a long wait time, but since they don’t have much staff, the time they can do it in is amazing. I would rate this restaurant 4 out of 5.

2  Thank 8thgradeclass

Reviewed 22 January 2018

So much more convenient since they added the drive through. A few years ago, when I called, they declined to take my order and cc over the phone. I was warned I needed to stand in line “like everyone else”. So, my foresight in knowing what I wanted, and my willingness to pay in advance was a flaw? With a toddler, often sleeping as I passed through Canal Park, this was prohibitive. I’m delighted that they’ve modified their stance and are willing to take orders over the phone! Love the food!

Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

My wife and I did a mail order of some smoked fish and meat for delivery to Tofte. It arrived on time and was as good as is in the store. The pork loin is really good, the Cajun salmon is unreal. Thanks for your help Northern Waters.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

We stop here every time we visit & get smoked salmon to go. I also get a Cajun Finn sandwich for the next day’s lunch. Delicious!

Reviewed 13 January 2018

You can get a sandwich anywhere . . . you can get a good sandwich at many places, but you can get many fabulous sandwiches at Northern Waters! They really focus on using great ingredients, but the magic comes in great combinations using just the right proportions. We were in Duluth for a week and ended up trying a good number of the sandwiches . . . all large enough to share so we usually split them so we could always have some of each. Some of our favorites were the Bahn Faux Mi, Italiansk, and the Cold Turkey. All very different, very satisfying and a joy to eat! If you like good a Bahn Mi, then you will love this one with a twist. We also had sandwiches delivered and they were well packaged and quick! Even though it was not too important to us, but to be fair . . . the only disappointment we had was the Potato Salad and the Slaw. While these had great quality ingredients, they just seemed to fall a little flat. We tend to like bright, crispy slaw and potato salad with a bit more punch. Could be we just like a little different style, because the quality was great. In any case, they are sides and you don't really need them. Go for the SANDWICHES! We will go there every time we go to Duluth.

1  Thank 9NotHappy