“Surprisingly good Italian restaurant in Duluth”

Bellisio's Italian Restaurant and Wine Bar
Ranked #12 of 263 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Classic Italian dinning and Wine Spectator award winner since 1999 Bellisio’s restaurant conjures up images of highly skilled chefs, fine wines, superb service, and fresh Italian food. And while all this is most certainly true, one must not forget that Bellisio’s is above all an experience. An exceptional dining experience, to be precise, but one that takes place in a casual atmosphere reminiscent of the quaint eateries and wine bars of the Italian countryside. And no wonder. The experience is fashioned after the small village of Bellisio, Italy, home to the owner’s ancestry. Imported direct from Italy are the beauty, comfort, romance, and glorious recipes. Specialty dishes include perfectly prepared pasta dishes using the finest imported and local ingredients; fennel roasted rack of pork; homemade risotto dishes; grilled steaks; shrimp; seafood; and a fresh catch feature every day. All served with a world class wine menu to match. Bellisio’s has received Wine Spectator’s prestigious “Best of Award of Excellence” every year since we opened in 1999. It’s a simple, colorful, elegant, and exceptional dining experience.
Reviewed 11 September 2017

We were visiting here in our motorhome and were tired of cooking, so walked into town looking for dinner. Italian sounded good, so we went into Bellisio's on a Thursday evening. We were seated within a few minutes and promptly given menus, water, bread, and olive oil for dipping. We ordered a glass of $6 chianti which turned out to be surprisingly good and a generous pour. We split a shrimp salad which was good, and pasta in arabiatta sauce with sausage which was delectable. Because we had split, we felt like we deserved dessert, so ordered the carrot cake - this may have been the best carrot cake I have ever eaten and it was huge - we ended up taking half of it home and it made an excellent dessert again the next evening. We ended with capucchino's which were also great. Did I mention that our waitress was a sweetheart? If I find myself back in Duluth again, I'll be sure to eat in Bellisio's.

LeeAnn S, General Manager at Bellisio's Italian Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this great experience. We LOVE our Carrot Cake too and the Pasta alla Arrabbiata is one of our favorites. It sounds like you were able to really enjoy your evening. We hope you will stop by again on your travels. Cheers!

Reviewed 2 September 2017

Go to this place for sure if you are in or near Duluth- we had an expensive, but so, so good meal here- and the service was outstanding!

We take great pride in our service and standards. We really enjoy having the opportunity to share this with our guests and we are happy to hear you were able to experience Bellisio's. I will share your feedback with the staff...Thank you and Cheers!

Reviewed 31 August 2017

The service is superb. The location is easy walking from the canal park hotels. Make a reservation since this is very popular.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Our server was top notch, especially when she had to deal with a difficult customer at the table next to us. He complained about everything and she was so patient! The bread that comes before the meal is so good! Everyone was very pleased with their entrees but was bummed when the Lime Cheesecake, which I saw on their website, was not on the dessert menu. They have a cheesecake, but it's entirely different. I just double-checked their website and it hasn't been updated since 2014.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

My wife and I enjoyed a couple days in Duluth site seeing, walking and enjoying the sunshine along Lake Superior. We came across Bellisio's and what a great find. We arrived around 6:45pm and were able to sit right away. The hostess was very pleasant and sat us in a nice table for two. The waitress came shortly there after. We ordered Zucchini as a appetizer along with a Chianti wine flight. The appetizer was good as well as the first glass of wine (Calvo 2014).
My wife ordered the pasta alla Arrabbiata and I ordered the Fennel Roasted Pork. My dish was unbelievably awesome! Cooked perfectly! I enjoyed wine #2, however this was a bold taste and not my favorite (Piegaia Classico 2013). My wife's pasta was good but had a touch too much parmigiana cheese. Had there been a little less I would have rated the restaurant a 5. My third flight of wine was Querceto Chianti Classico 2014, much better taste than #2.
For desser we ordered the carrot cake, oh my gosh it was amazing. I enjoyed every bite and washed it down with a final flight of TEnuta Arceno Chianti Classico Riserva 2012. This wine was my second favorite of the flight.
I would highly recommend this restaurant for couples and adult family. Kids might not enjoy this establishment, so you might think about something else for them.
Great service as our wait staff was very attentive and always available when we needed her.