“Kids enjoyed waterpark, hotel a disappointment, beware of breakfast”

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We booked a poolside room with 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper. I requested a higher floor and was pleasantly surprised how quiet the room was given the location. Upon check in we were offered $10 in hotel bucks for declining housekeeping services. The hotel has an odd layout but we did manage to figure out where everything was located.

The kids loved the waterpark, however, we came upon a few cons with our room. I would only ever stay at this hotel again if I were getting a cheap rate. It was not worth a more expensive rate.
*Hotel does not offer complimentary toothpaste for guests who have forgotten theirs.
*As stated above, I was given $10 in hotel bucks which we decided to use for breakfast. When I went to pay we found out the bundle only had $9 in it. I didn't think to count it upon receiving.
*The breakfast is a joke and is not worth the cheap price already offered. It should be included in the room rate. The coffee came out of the machine basically water and tasted disgusting. Every item in the hot section was cool/cold. Nothing tasted good. Even my kids didn't like the breakfast and complained it was cold! Staff in the breakfast area were not very friendly. We enjoyed breakfast elsewhere the next day and would never recommend their breakfast.
*The coffee pot in our room did not work properly(see pictures). Not only did I not get coffee at breakfast but I did not get coffee in my room. I refused to try any other options for coffee and went elsewhere.

Let's talk housekeeping. I work in a hotel, and even if I did not, I can not believe management allows the room to be how ours was.
*The curtains were FILTHY and noticeable right away. (See picture) How is this acceptable? Wash or replace them!
*The garbage can sits next to the tv stand. There was garbage/crud crusted on the side of the tv stand! Eww! Clean it off! Also on the night stand between the 2 beds.

Again, very disappointed with the quality and price.

Room Tip: Book a room in the Tiki Tower where waterpark is located.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
AaronEdge, Public Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Dear Awentworth86,

Thank you for letting us know about your previous stay. I saw that you spoke to one of our managers about the issues during your stay. I too would like to apologize that you experienced these problems throughout your stay. If there is anything further we can do to make amends please contact us directly.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

We had a great vacation. We sure did enjoy the water park but the hours open are a bit strange for people staying multiple days, I know it’s winter hours but that’s when people would use it more. The location is nice as it is easy to get to different place. An update could be done to rooms and hallways along with more sound proofing of the outside doors as you can hear the traffic pretty good. All in all a nice place for family trip.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused by our winter water park hours. I am glad to hear that there was plenty here for a fun family trip. We are excited to see you again!

Reviewed 17 October 2017

after reading some of the past reviews, I was a little taken back...We have been coming to this hotel over the past 6 - 8 years and have always enjoyed our stay. This past year we had to go with out my mom who had recently passed away, it was a very hard trip for us. We have always gotten a two bedroom suite and that works out well for us. The views from our balcony are awesome...we have coffee and enjoy the view. We are here to enjoy the area and that we do. The hotel is close to everything we want to do. YES, the hotel is getting "tired" in some areas and should be addressed. We hope to be able to enjoy the area again next year and will most likely still stay at this hotel, the staff is very attentive and caring.

Room Tip: balcony suites = awesomeness
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear Pawsitivelypurr-fect,

Thank you so much for the years of loyalty! We are in a great location for viewing the lake. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

I was very disappointed with the quality of this place, especially with the cost for two nights. Beds were uncomfortable, there was garbage and old food in the bunk beds, and it was very noisy at night (until the waterpark closed). Breakfast was not included and we were given incorrect hours for that, which forced us to go elsewhere. It did seem very outdated too. We did not use the water park.

Our rooms were located close to the water park and arcade, which were noisy until 11:30pm. That was frustrating, as we had two early mornings for our event. I'm not sure how you could regulate that, but it was difficult for us.

I would not recommend this hotel.

The one good thing was that there was an error with payment which was fixed right away. I was very pleased with the front desk staff when we checked out.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
AaronEdge, Public Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear KristineS51,

Thank you for your time to review your last stay. I would like to sincerely apologize that you found the quality to be very disappointing. I know it was a very busy weekend for us here. However, occupancy does not excuse us not providing a room that exceeds expectations. We hope we can prove to you that your experience is not a standard.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Room carpet old and stained, bathroom door is falling apart, bathroom needs an update. I am sure if you have kids, staying here for the water park is probably ok, but if I had a choice, I would select another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business