“Go on Sunday for the burnt ends”
Review of ZZQ Smokehouse

ZZQ Smokehouse
Ranked #21 of 148 Restaurants in Eagan
Price range: US$10 - US$17
Description: ZZQ Smokehouse is an unfussy BBQ joint offering meats, sides & various sauces, plus craft beers in simple surrounds to the communities of Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville, Lakeville, Farmington, Savage and the entire South Metro and the Twin Cities. ZZQ was founded by Zak Zueg in 2015 and it's reputation for great BBQ Brisket, Pulled Pork, BBQ Chicken and Pork Spare Ribs continues to grow. ZZQ Smokehouse prides it's self on Homemade Sides like Hand Cut Fried, Smokehouse Beans, Cole Slaw and Potato Salad. All of ZZQ Smokehouse's sauces are made in house from scratch under the watchful eye of Zak. Don't feel like going to ZZQ? ZZQ offers delivery from Black Suite and Tie Delivery. ZZQ Smokehouse is also a great choice for all your catering needs like Birthday and Christmas Parties, office gatherings, work lunches, Bridal Showers, Groomsman Dinners.
Reviewed 19 September 2016

While I have been to ZZQ several times, I was finally able to get there to enjoy their burnt ends, which are only available on Sundays, this week. Zach, if you read this, please, please, please make the burnt ends available on additional days! I have had this dish in other places (including some in St Louis and Memphis) and ZZQ does them perfectly. I love all the food at ZZQ but those burnt ends are a transcendent experience

Reviewed 19 September 2016

I'm picky about pulled pork and ZZQ passed my standards:
- it's meaty and not all fat
- it's so moist you don't need to drown it in sauce
- not too salty
- so flavorful you can eat it straight up if you don't want it on a bun

Their sauce options are very flavorful, not sweet.

Only reason I didn't give them a five rating was I prefer my baked beans to be a little thicker, they taste great, but it was more like a soup, and, the paper they use to line basket was so thin it came apart and ended up in my food. Otherwise my experience was great and will definitely go back.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

By far the best BBQ joint around Eagan and south of the river. All the meats I've tried have great smoke, tender, juicy, and not fatty. The staff is phenomenal and atmosphere is great. I'm a BBQ from Carolina and am a fan of their Carolina vinegar sauce. I promise you won't be disappointed eating here.

Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

I've driven past ZZQ smokehouse dozens of times without even realizing it. And if you blink, you'll miss it. But don't let the nondescript strip mall exterior fool you, this place is solid. What it lacks for in "atmosphere" inside it more than makes up for in food - generous portions of great barbecue at a decent price - and I wouldn't have it any other way! I've eaten the ribs (fall off the bone), brisket and pulled pork - all delicious! And great sides too! At a lot of places, sides are an afterthought - you have your choice of fries or fries. ZZQ has a nice cold potato salad, zesty and dill, which I highly recommend, along with tasty bbq baked beans. ZZQ also has a large variety of clearly "house" sauces - smokey, sweet, tangy Carolina, spicy. Try them and mix and match. A 2 or 3 meat platter with 2 sides is clearly the way to go, depending on how hungry you are. I talked to the owner who was working there and he's a good guy who is trying to put a good product out there and take care of his customers. I pretty much guarantee if you try it, you'll be back. That's right Twin Cities, put ZZQ in Eagan on the barbecue map!

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

My wife and have wanted to visit for awhile now, so last night we drove over for takeout. They have seating, but it was a nice summer evening to eat outside. We ordered the three meat platter which consisted of 1/3 lb each of chicken, brisket, and pulled pork. All served dry which I prefer since it allows you to taste the meat on its own. They were out of ribs so I cant comment on those, but all the meat I tried was 5/5! Fresh, tender, subtle smoke, and very little fat. Also they have many bbq sauces if you like. We chose two sided which were included with the three meat plate. Hand cut fries (very good) and home made potato salad which was possibly the best I have ever had!

Been to ZZQ Smokehouse? Share your experiences!