Lowest prices for your stay
US$132
US$108
PricelineUS$132
Hotels.comUS$132
HolidayInn.comUS$132
All reviews pool area poolside room lobby chlorine soundproofing convenience microwave
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 June 2021

This hotel is in a convenient location right off of I-94 on the East side of the Twin Cities. The lobby looks nice. Our service was excellent. However, the rooms really need a refresh. Our room had peeling wallpaper, permanently-stained furniture, permanent mold stains in the shower and a mattress with too many years on it. The restaurant is a good country-style eatery with large portions for breakfast.

Room tip: A patio room overlooking the indoor pool is nice.
Date of stay: June 2021
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn & Suites St. Paul NE - Lake Elmo, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2021

Hi Jim E,

I am glad you left feedback. Thanks for choosing to stay at our Holiday Inn Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Paul NE - Lake Elmo!

ways wanted our guests to have a delightful stay, no matter what the purpose of the travel is. While I'm glad about your positive rating on our location, restaurant, and staff service, I'm sorry to learn that your experience turned sour due to your disappointment with the room condition and cleanliness misses. I went ahead and shared your thoughts with the team so that necessary actions can be taken to promote improvement.

We look forward to hosting you again for a chance to provide you with a much better experience.

Cheers,

June A.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 8 February 2021

We stayed for one night in Febraury, 2020. We needed to get out of the house and the kids haven't been swimming in months and months due to COVID.

Overall / Cleanliness
The hotel is very clean (and was very quiet) and it's great having the Machine Shed attached via enclosed walkway. The staff was very nice at checkin and checkout. They stocked towels in the pool area and in the morning it was clear the pool area had been cleaned well and was ready to go. (It was never dirty the night before - I just noticed they placed fresh pool towels on all of the tables, etc.) The lobby was nice, with plenty of seating areas.

Location
You are very near a ton of shopping and food but you must have a car unless you are OK with the one (attached) restaurant. The restaurant has great food but it wouldn't be to everyone's taste (BBQ). There is no gas station or store or other restaurants you would want to try to walk to. (There are a couple of restaurants across a very busy serveral-lane street but no convenience stores.)

Room
We had a poolside room, which was well worth the extra cost if you plan to use the pool quite a bit - extra terrific for those with young kids who are in and out to use the restroom, etc. The room was bigger than expected, quite deep and plenty of room for a family of four. The bathroom was a good size, lots of (nice) towels, good shower, etc. The fridge was great (had a small freezer at the top), Keurig for coffee and a microwave. There was a BIG table near the patio door (but only one chair). Closet with hangers, etc. The soundproofing was good as we know there were people with kids on both sides of us and we never heard a thing from either side or the room above us. (And with younger kids who'd been in the pool a lot, we went to bed very early!) Lighting left a lot ot be desired. There was one overhead light in the entrance that was pretty dim and there were a few lamps, none of which were very bright - it was kind of dark in the room all of the time. The bathroom lighting was very good, though.

We didn't use the fitness room but it looked nice (it overlooks the pool).

Pool
The pool area is really great - lots of "patio" space, some loungers, some 4-top tables, some 2-top tables, etc. The hot tub was nice. The entire area was warm and very comfortable to sit in your suit (it was -15°F outside so this was extra appreciated!) Pool water was nice and warm. Current limit was 2 people in hot tube, 19 people in pool - there was not a limit to the time you could be there and you didn't have to sign up - of course that will all be subject to change due to COVID so I'd recommend you call before booking if the pool is important to you. (This was the third hotel I'd called - the first had 1-hour sign-up slots, they figured on a busy weekend you could swim 2-3 times total. The next one, the pool wasn't open at all. So this was really great for us since the main point of going was to enjoy the pool and I was super happy the others didn't meet our specs - we were really happy here!) The area was well-kept. Pool towels were small and thin but certainly serviceable and I get why the hotels put money into the room towels but not the pool towels.

Main concern - kids had lots of red, burning spots, presumably due to the amount of chlorine in the pool. The first evening we noticed it but mainly just around where swimsuit straps were so we assumed they were rubbing. The next morning we swam again and both kids (6 and 8) had a lot of red spots on the backs of their legs, backs, arms, etc. The younger was crying in the shower because it hurt that much to touch. (Mind you - these are kids and this same ailment was completely unnoted and didn't exist while still in the pool...) The older one had more problems later after we got home. Some ibuprofen and really good lotion seemed to help quite a bit. To be fair, the pool and hot tub were very clean and we spent A LOT of time in the pool. I'm guessing kids going for one or two shorter swims would be OK. Just thought to mention this - if you go and swim, probably a good idea to ensure there is a shower after and maybe some good lotion.

We would certainly go here again - the hotel was nice, you are near a lot of things and it was clean, nice staff and the pool area is really nice. We will be back, maybe with some sort of skin-saving plans next time.

Date of stay: February 2021
1  Thank RiverTraveler
Reviewed 17 November 2019

I am currently staying at this hotel and have had nothing but problems so far. In the room above me there is apparently a family of gymnasts that like to practice. All kinds of running and jumping and slamming stuff around. I called the front desk and they said they would call up there and tell them to keep it down. It didn't, I had to call again 20 minutes later for the same thing. It stopped for a few hours and then started up again. The people in the room next to me were shouting at the football game on their tv for 30 minutes. They stopped that after I called the desk but cranked up the TV. Dealing with this I was hung up on by hotel staff 4 times and given attitude about my complaints. I realize it's a hotel but there is a certain expectation of quiet. It seem at this hotel everyone slams their door. I've had things like this happen at hotels and with almost all of those I was offered a different room. Not here. Thin walls, rude staff, even though the first page in their folder says that their number one concern is your comfort. Even that has Grammer errors and was obviously only glanced at before the GM and assisstant GM signed it. Full price for half a hotel.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites St. Paul NE - Lake Elmo, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2019

Good day! Journey64091367327,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn Hotel And Suites St. Paul Ne - Lake Elmo.

I read your concern about the noise from the other guests during your stay. We believe the joy of travel is for everyone, but I guess you felt otherwise. I called the hotel management's attention, and I sent you a private message to discuss this further.

I hope to get another chance to host your next visit and make the value of your experience worth it for all the right reasons.

Jeraldine R.
Case Manager
IHG Service

Reviewed 17 October 2019

I really liked this Holiday Inn. Check in was very quick and smooth. Was just a one night stay. Staff were very freindly. Room was quit and bed comfortable. Would easily recommend and would definately stay here again. Thank you Holiday Inn.

Date of stay: October 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2019

Paul, I believe, is the Asst. Mgr. at this particular Holiday Inn in Lake Elmo, Minnesota and his approach to customer service is what a couple of the staff should try to emulate. HE GETS IT. Whether he agrees with you or not, he listens and tries to accommodate your needs because he sees the value in his position and what it means to the person who is paying the bill. Paul, thank you. Now, the hotel, itself. We loved it! Not your typical looking chain hotel - this had character and charm - cozy and rustic. It also had a terrific restaurant attached to it, "The Machine Shed". The portions were huge!!! The location was great - only about 20 min from downtown Minneapolis but super close to the interstate but far enough away to not have crazy traffic around you. We would stay here again, definitely.

Date of stay: June 2019