“Amazing Find”
Review of Bonicelli Kitchen

Bonicelli Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Bonicelli Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #256 of 1,841 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Reviewed 29 April 2017

Out with friends for our usual Friday cocktails and dinner. We try to check out new places when we do. I saw Bonicelli's across the parking lot from another place we checked a couple of weeks ago, and then found it recommended in a local magazine.

Open less than a year, chef and owner Laura Bonicelli has a winner here. The place is small, with seating for around 50. With its emphasis on small plates it is a great place to go and share food. They started us off with a delightful amuse bouche that consisted of Marcona almonds, homemade focaccia bread, marinated white beans, and figs with fresh ricotta. I had the spring pea soup with asiago crisps as my starter while my friend had the asiago fries with a sambol aioli. The soup was freshly made and was wonderful. And the fries were crispy on the outside and pillowy on the inside.

For our "entrees" I had the small portion of the fettuccine with bolognese. The fettuccine was homemade as was the bolognese. Lots of shredded meat in a divine tomato sauce over perfectly al dente pasta - it was as good as what I make. My friend had the meatball small plate. OMG!!!! A huge meatball that was the lightest, pillowy-est meatball I've ever tried. Light and fluffy and loaded with flavor. And sitting on a bed of homemade, perfectly al dente spaghetti and Laura's red sauce. This was amazing too.

Dessert is limited but fun. My friend had the chambourd trifle with the freshest raspberries I've tasted in some time, along with juicy blackberries. I had the homemade chocolate cake with a cream cheese frosting. Splendid.

There wine list is short but respectable. I had a red blend and my friend had a wonderful Lambrusco. A latte and espresso with dessert and we left satisfied and happy, and all for around $100 for all of that.

Service was perfect. Not too fussy, but never far away. This was a wonderful surprise and we'll be going back. If I had a complaint it would be that parking is limited to street parking. Frustrating but definitely not a reason to stay away. Reservations are available through Open Table. Next time I'm hoping the weather is better so we can sit out on the patio. Did I forget to mention?

Check this place out. You will NOT be disappointed.

2  Thank Gerry S

Reviewed 16 February 2017

We went with a group of 6 to celebrate a birthday. We let owner/chef Laura Bonicelli decide on our menu and the order of their serving. It was one great dish after another - hard to name a favorite when they were all prepared perfectly. Service was excellent and the wine list offered good choices for pairing. All in all a wonderful experience.

1  Thank janemackenzie1
Reviewed 19 December 2016

Had the great pleasure of dining at Bonicelli Kitchen on their "official" opening night (they'd been open for patio dining during the summer/autumn). The food was lovely--really well prepared, with fresh, high-quality ingredients (some of the most impressive shrimp I've had in a long time), & a lot of care put into the menu. The home-made ricotta was a revelation, the bbq was melt-on-the-fork, & the staff were friendly & informative. There were a few minor opening night timing issues, but I believe everything will smooth out & get better & better. Welcome to the neighbourhood! PS Also went for coffee in the morning & had a really lovely, fresh cappuccino & fruit muffin. Yum!

1  Thank themadblonde