“Rooms in the historic station are splendid”

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 7 November 2017

The hotel was really quite spectacular. My room was a suite in the historic train station, which was a railroad office many years ago. The room was quite spacious, one of the larger rooms I have stayed in, and it was really neat to be in a space with a bit of history, especially if you like railroading. The best part, though, was something mentioned on the hotel website: if you are there on the first Friday of the month, the General Manager of the hotel will take you on a tour of the former railroad station. I was there on Friday Nov. 3, and I called to arrange a tour. When I arrived, the GM told me that I was the first person to ask for this, which I find surprising. It is a benefit that should absolutely not be missed -- he is quite knowledgeable of the property and really brings it to life.

Room Tip: Historic rooms are numbered in the 80s and 90s -- I was in 492
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Michael C, General Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thanks David. It was great meeting you and I'm glad that you enjoyed the tour.
Michael

Reviewed 6 November 2017

This hotel has some contemporary rooms, and also an older, more historical wing where our room was located. Our room had an elegant old-world feel to it.

This hotel is really convenient to US Bank Stadium, only 8 blocks away.

It is just 3 blocks from Government Plaza Station light rail transit train stop, which is about a 20 minute ride to MSP on the METRO Blue Line.

Milwaukee Road, on the main floor, is a pretty good restaurant.

There is a nice selection of restaurants and pubs around. Also, the hotel is just a few blocks away from the Mississippi River, and some attractions including Stone Arch Bridge, which offers a nice walk across the river.

The hotel is just on the edge of downtown, and is just a few blocks south of North Loop, the warehouse district.

Worth a stay!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Jamie L, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear K&L092906

Thank you so much for your TA review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!

We look forward to your next visit!

All our best
Jamie

Reviewed 6 November 2017

This hotel and customer service was excellent! We had many extra requests while there and Jamie Londono was so kind and helpful. All the staff was so great, rooms beautiful, food was fabulous and great location. Would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much and I will make sure that Jamie is recognized!

Reviewed 6 November 2017

I was in Minneapolis for a business trip and stayed in this hotel. Overall, it's a nice hotel, but there were a couple of issues.

I was in very long meetings all day, and didn't arrive to check-in until around 9:30 at night. We valet parked the car, and went into the lobby to check in. There was a line at the desk, the phone was ringing off the hook, and the one person working check in seemed frantic.

It turned out that there was a problem checking people in, as someone had not returned the empty rooms into the computer inventory. So, although the rooms were available, they couldn't check anyone into them. I definitely don't hold this issue against the guy working the front desk. He mentioned that he had only been working a week, and his colleague that was there had only been there a month. They were definitely trying to figure it out, but I would suggest to hotel management a couple of things.

First, as the long line was forming, someone should have announced to everyone was the issue was and when they expected it to be fixed. We were all standing in line and no one was giving us any information. Second, they sent us over to the hotel bar/lounge to wait. There was mention of paying for a drink for us while we waited, but nothing ever came of that. Frankly, I would have been a lot happier about the whole situation if they would at least have come over and taken care of my bar bill and/or part of my dinner.

I was finally able to check-in around 10:30 p.m. Once up in my room, it was very nice. The rooms were well decorated and laid out well. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nice. I liked the Aveda bathroom products.

Overall, this is a nice hotel and a nice location.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear CMRieck

Thank you for the review! We are so sorry you had to wait at check in while they were attempting the fix the computer issue! Your feedback about keeping you in the loop, is absolutely on point and I am sorry again that they did not do that.

I will be sharing your feedback to them.

Thank you again for the great review and we look forward to having you back!

All our best
Jamie

Reviewed 3 November 2017

I travel to Minneapolis several times a month for work, and usually try to stay wherever is cheapest. Somehow I got a great rate to stay at the Renaissance which is usually out of my budget. The rooms, which must have been recently renovated are incredibly spacious but also cozy and comfortable. The Aveda product amenities are also a huge plus for me. The hotel is only a few blocks, or few minutes walking from the Light Rail (green + blue lines), and is perfect for getting around without a car. I was able to walk to the Whole Foods about 2 blocks away for dinners most nights I stayed. Would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat! Only downside is that the staff wasn't too warm or welcoming, but can definitely look past it.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
#11 of 52 in Minneapolis
Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!