“Unique Middle Eastern Restaurant and Marketplace”

Caspian Bistro & Marketplace
Ranked #374 of 1,855 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

I visited this place to check it out, and it turned out to be a small, fascinating market that led to a beautiful looking restaurant. This market sells food products from several countries like Italy, Greece, Turkey, Russia, and others. It was not meal time when I was there, so I just bought a few pieces of unusual pieces of candy for my daughters. Later in the evening, I ordered dinner from the Caspian Bistro through Door Dash, a company that delivers food from different restaurants in the Minneapolis area. I ordered gyros for my whole family, and baklava. Everything was delicious! I highly recommend this restaurant. I hope next time I can eat at the restaurant itself, because it looked beautiful, and the owner, who I talked to in person while I was there, was very friendly.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

The Gyro Dinner meat was very dry.
More like Gyro Jerky.
It was served in a pile of meat with the other gyro ingredients on the side.

Really disappointing.

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

This place has one restaurant and a grocery store plus a gift shop whith products from Middle East.
The food is authentic, delicious and good portions.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

I have tried many dishes at Caspian, each time hoping to get a taste at least similar to what I ate in Iran, but I had no success. The dishes are terribly modified, with all expensive or unique ingredients removed!! I have been in other Iranian restaurants abroad, none of them are so bad! I have the same comment for the attached grocery store. You can find the same stuff at Holyland for half of the price.
Specific comment on the menu:
- Kashke bademjan doesn't have fried garlic and mint or any spices (sooo blant)
- Gheimeh needs dried lime
- They bring you lettuce salad as a side, but Persian salad is a wonderful mix of cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions with lime and munt. Again, they have made sure that there are no expensive ingredients there!
- Chicken wings in pomegranate sauce: to be fare, this one tasted good, but the pomegranate saucevis faaaar away from the authentic one.
- Ash reshteh (Iranian soup): oh don't look for it. They don't have it!!!
- falafels, Hummus, Gyro: ok, first of all these are not Iranian food. I didn't know what Hummus and Gyro are before coming to US. Second: If you want Arabic food, there are tons of other places in Minneapolis. Don't chance Caspian! I did, abd I regret.

1  Thank Shiva J
Reviewed 3 May 2017

no alcohol ,no bar , full focus was on food ,i like that .server told us the restaurant has been there for 37 years ,they have never advertised and have served over two million customers ,wow i cant imagine at my house i cant feed 4 people ,the place is not expansive or fancy , good kebabs and tasty rice for about $15 ,on the way out we visited their market and bought very special hand rolled baklava and Turkish delight stuffed with nutela and pistachio i guess they fly them in from Tehran and Istanbul a large box of the mix was $10 ,small market but lots of goodies ,free parking that's great considering they're across from the huge TCF stadium