“Surprisingly a very good Japanese restaurant”

Sakana Sushi and Asian Bistro
Ranked #20 of 96 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 11 August 2016

When my daughter told me going to a Japanese restaurant for my wife's birthday. I thought it would be so so. However, the restaurant changed my opinion about Japanese restaurant. It was fresh, tasty, and bountiful. My daughter opted for Hibachi. We loved it with several appetizers like shrimp wontons, raw tuna, seaweed... And ribs, pork, beef...for grilling. Last but not least s'mores for dessert. All is good. We had leftovers to bring home, too. Since it was my wife's birthday so she had a free ice cream dish but she had to wear a Chinese mask. What a memorable dining experience!

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

For a suburban strip mall sushi joint, Sakana is a very pleasant surprise. Really good, fresh sushi, both nigiri and sashimi. Reasonable selection, but enormous pieces (offsetting what seemed like a somewhat high price). Huge roll menu, and we had two very good ones -- again, seemingly pricy but quite large. Service was exceptional -- our waitress comp'd us on both after-dinner liquors and a yummy dessert. A nice and totally unexpected find, and we'll be back.

1  Thank jakester88
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

This place has fantastic food. Really nothing disappoints here, from the Bento Boxes, to the Hibachi Choices, it's all fabulous! I'll let you in on a secret, Sakana has the best Sushi in town, hands down. Try it for yourself I'm sure you'll agree. I usually go for the Sushi Lunch, the Sashimi Lunch is phenomenal as well.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

My wife and I have been longtime fans of Osaka Roseville and Osaka Coon Rapids. Both have always been consistent and what we consider among few truly consistent sushi experiences in the area. We decided last week to try out a new restaurant and discovered that Sakana Sushi was close by and had great Yelp reviews.

Upon arriving (on a Friday evening) the place was very busy, which is a good sign and rather unique, as many sushi restaurants in the area never seem very busy. We decided to sit at the sushi table rather than waiting for a private table. Watching the chefs prepare sushi was an experience in itself. One of the plates we noticed had sesame seeds on top and the chef used a blow torch to toast the seeds. Very cool!

Our dinner included two specialty rolls and two orders of sashimi. All of it was excellent but, even more surprising, was how well the chefs plated the food. It was a work of art and tasted as good as it looked. Every plate we saw leave the sushi table looked incredible.

After our visit, we immediately recommended a friend try Sakana and she went two nights later and had an equally good experience. I'd highly recommend and will visit Sakana again.

Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

What can I say, good food, good atmosphere, good service. There was not one thing I could find that was wrong with this place. The sushi was delicious and the server did not hesitate to give many samples. I would come here again.