“Fun Birthday Dinner”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

We had heard a lot about Travail, only the best recommendations and ... THEY ARE ALL ON TARGET! The team creates a fun atmosphere, at some point you feel like you are having dinner with everyone in the restaurant. The food is innovative, delicious and fun! Eating appetizers out of a tree branch, never done that! Eating ham hanging off a hook in front of you without using your hands ! Waking through the kitchen and eat a few bites crafted right in front of you ! And on, and on and on! We did the wine/drink pairing which was great as well.
Plan for 2-3h, parking in the front limited, use the parking lot close to Maccy D or side streets. No walk-ins!, you need to buy tickets online (easy).
We will come back!

Reviewed 26 January 2018

It was my first time and I spent a lot of money on the tickets for our anniversary.
They really try hard to serve you in strange and ways with unusual foods. Perhaps too hard. After about 40 mins, their the odd combinations of foods had my stomach in cramps! I had to go to the restroom several times during visits I found that I was not the only one with the problem. The last 30mins I suffered through but I ate every dish hoping it would get better,

The last course was an eye opener. There was very little meat served during the meal and at last, they announced we would be having steak!
Imagine my surprise when they brought out a 12 oz flank steak and then proceeded to carve it up for 8 people! So as I was savoring my 1.25 oz of steak I started thinking. " I just paid $300 for tiny amounts of unusual foods and stomach cramps!"
When I got home I felt better and ate a plate of Nachos because (no kidding) I still was very hungry!

Bottom Line: I have never got cramps at a restaurant in my life. The fact that I ran into 3 other people in the bathroom with the same problem makes me think it was just the peculiar combinations of food they were serving that night.

But in general, you are paying vastly over inflated prices for a small amount of food. As a professional entertainer I was also disappointed in their presentations. I feel you get a lot more entertainment from your standard Hibachi restaurant than at Travail.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

We had never heard of Travail but received a gift certificate. Eventually we found a night that worked and it was one of the most incredible evenings in our ancient lives. it's best not to know much about the event to let a lot of it be a surprise. come with an open mind and an empty stomach and there is no way you will be disappointed.
the food is exceptional and while they say 20 courses, it really is hard to count. The food is as diverse as the crowd who attends. The staff is a well-oiled TEAM where each seems to know where the others are and what needs to be accomplished in the appropriate amount of time.
The food alone is well worth the evening but watching the staff is more than we ever anticipated.
If you are entertaining out of town guests, this is the place to go. It's not quiet. it is lively but it should be an evening that will have people talking months on end.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Hands down the best dining experience ever! Wanted to treat my wife to a special anniversary dinner and Travail did not disappoint - highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

I've eaten in 6 Michelin 2 star restaurants and 5 1 star restaurants. Travail is as good as all of them. Every course was an adventure, different, delightful and often full of flavors I've never encountered before. Can't wait to bring my wife to Minneapolis just to eat here which by Michelin's definitions means worthy of 3 stars.