“Great Place with Bocce Ball!!”
Review of Half Time Rec

Half Time Rec
Ranked #7 of 40 Nightlife in Saint Paul
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Walking through the door it has a sixties vibe. They have a large variety of tap beer . I am a wine drinker they were reasonable to $5 a glass. The food was delicious Mac and cheese and my surprising favorite curry wings (so yummy). The guys enjoyed the bocce ball court in the basement. A fun place to go!!!

All reviews
"dive"
"basement"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

I have never had a bad meal here. Best patty melt around as well as delicious wings,burgers and sandwiches. I'm as comfortable going in dressed up as I am un-showered on a Sunday morning for bloodys.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

When I say "dive bar" I mean it in a loving way. The Rec is a Saint Paul institution. They no longer book live music, but their kitchen is vastly improved from the days when it was some guy in the back with an electric griddle. Their burgers have won local competitions, and it's easy to see why - they take real pride in putting together a complex, flavorful burger. I had the Guinness Cheeseburger, which is a 1/2 pound burger with a Guinness cheese sauce, bacon, fried onions and a fried egg. The standard is sunny side up, but I went with over medium, because that's how I roll. The result is a big, flavorful burger that really hits the spot.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

Love this Place - When my in-laws asked where I wanted to go for my birthday lunch - this place was it! One of the best Lobster Rolls I have had anywhere and today was no exception! YUM - Service was great and was offered a free beer for my birthday. They have a new Hot Lobster Sandwich - the Dublin Lawyer Roll - definitely have to try that next time! My husband always has the Guinness Burger (the one with the egg) and it was excellent as well - The Fries are great and worth the upgrade. It is a old neighborhood bar and doesn't have a lot of ambience but the Food is Great!

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2016

Known for their Paddy Shack Burgers and a little bocce ball fun in the basement, this place was getting all kinds of hype for those burgers of theirs (the two they have on the menu). In 2015, they even added the title of top dog at the T.C. Burger Battle which kinda baffles me.

Okay, so I'll have plenty of people that will refuse to agree with me and maybe others who will, but I just wasn't blown away by their burgers. Were they good? Certainly! In fact, better than plenty of the competition around town, but the best in the Twin Cities? Not even close!

Maybe the competition in 2015 was a little lack luster or they all decided to prepare terrible burgers???? I think I have a pretty insane palette and a good judge of all things food over the general public which is why I'm so baffled. I will say, the steak fries are a great addition to the meal!

Okay, look.... Certainly go check this place out and draw your own conclusions. But for this guy, living in Rosemount.... I wouldn't make a special trip like I would for others much farther away....

#knowbeforeyougo