“Delicious hamburgers!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 November 2017

We have been to "the Nook" many times and are never disappointed. The food has always been very good.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Tight crowded spot full of family locals. Short bar to pull up a stool and grab a beer if you want to wait for takeout

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I moved in to St. Paul's Highland Park neighborhood at the tail end of 2000, when Mike (Runyon) and Ted (Casper) were a couple of 21 year olds and had just taken over for Mickey at the Nook. Over the next 6 years I became a regular, and part of a Cheers-like atmosphere at the Nook until I moved out of the neighborhood. The injection of youth and TOTAL AWESOMENESS to the Nook I witnessed over those years was validated as they started hitting the Best Of lists in local and national media (Diners, Drive Ins and Dives + Travel Channel stuff). The atmosphere at the Nook is second to none. Their burgers are top notch (I usually just go with Mickey's Original hamburger with fried onions but recommend the bacon cheeseburger to newbies), the fries are PERFECT, and their dry rub Wild wings are rivaled only by Runyon's (not the same Runyon as the Nook's Mike) as the best in the Twin Cities, imho. But it's not just the food there, it's the people and the laid back and cool atmosphere. But it's not just the food and the vibe. The Nook is a true St. Paul story in the best sense of the word, with the Irish Catholic/Cretin Derham Hall-bred Mike and Ted, whose families had/have run Twin Cities restaurants (Cherokee Sirloin Room, Ciatti's, Randolph Griddle), taking over for Mickey and improving and growing the Nook into a small town on the corner of Randolph and Hamline. And them, of course being Irish and Catholic and probably not being able to sell enough burgers at the Nook to support their expanding families, buying the old Mr. Potom's and turning it into Shamrock's on 7th with the same food and stellar atmosphere, only bigger. I am honored to be a part of it all, celebrating my 30th BDay in the back half of the Nook (pre-fire days) and my wife throwing a surprise 40th BDay party for me at Shamrock's. My high school buddies and I congregate there when we need to connect. Ted bought my wife and I a beer last time we were there, 17 years after I drank my first beer and had my first burger at the Nook. I started as a 25 year old swingin' single and now I bring my kids there to show them the BEST of the Twin Cities, without a doubt for this guy.

2  Thank Jake S
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

I hadn’t been since the rebuild (a fire destroyed most of the interior a few years back), but I stopped in with some friends recently, and we were not disappointed. Just dive-y enough to wonder if everything is clean, but delicious enough that you don’t even care if it’s not. I recommend the original Nookie with fried onions and garlic cracked pepper on your fries. You’ll want a nap two hours later and a gym date the next day, but that meal will be fabulous.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

Had heard lots of goog things about this place but, meh....not impressed. Our server was a very nice guy, but I personally hate when restaurants tack dollar bills up all over the place, money is gross, gave the place a dirty, dingy feel.