“Great food and service undermined by intolerable noise levels”
Review of Meritage

Meritage
Ranked #13 of 945 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 13 April 2018

There is no doubt that this restaurant offers some of the best fine dining in the Twin Cities, but after a recent week night dinner experience there, I came to the reluctant conclusion that the evening had been spoiled by the inability to communicate not only with others at my table but also with the otherwise attentive wait staff. When my server had to verify my order of skate three times, finally resorting to screaming "fish?" at me so as to make sure I wasn't ordering steak, it was clear that the combined effect of the sound system and the raised voices of other diners made normal conversation impossible. I just returned from a six-week trip to France where noise levels in restaurants contribute to civilized dining. I so hoped that a great restaurant like Meritage would be able to provide a comparable ambiance.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

Fabulous service, outstanding food, especially the mushroom,leek,emantaller thing with the grilled bread, and that outrageous layered cake fantasy!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We've been dining here several time a year, generally before the opera or a show at the Ordway. It was enlarged several years ago and seafood choices such as oysters added. I would classify the menu as Brasserie/ Bistro type French. I used to delight ordering sweetbreads but as of late not having seen them on the menu I have been reduced to my usual Matzoh Ball Soup and Steak Frites, But of my fellow diners last night, two had the vegetarian dish which they swooned over and the other was equally pleased with the scallops. The wine list ain't cheap, but we had the Boardeaux Inferieur er I mean Superieur at $36 which is their house red. Over the years there has been no drop off in the food or service, but we have noticed a decided upward trend in prices. But that's the usual case when you want a decent meal these days.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I can list for days on end all of the delicious things I had at Meritage, wild shrimp, pancakes, house burger, spiced duck, and I really could go on. The service is hit and miss, but no big deal, the food over compensates.

1  Thank Apence3
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We have been to Meritage on several occasions and we have never been disappointed. The atmosphere is authentic, not to mention the beauty of the historic building where it is located. The food is is not only tasty, but presentation is perfection! We try to make it there each time we come to St Paul. The staff is very gracious and attentive, they make you feel so special! Meritage doesn't disappoint!

Been to Meritage? Share your experiences!