“Favorite Mexican Restaurant in Minneapolis”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 11 February 2015

This has become my favorite Mexican restaurant in Minneapolis. I usually get either the haurache or burrito and each are great. One upside of the burrito is that it comes with some guacamole and a few chips.

Reviewed 18 January 2015

The food here is authentic Mexican food. Don't expect taco bell or equivalent. I had the gordita and it was quite good. My wife had tacos and enjoyed them. This is not a high brow place. Food is served on foam plates but the food is good.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We've stopped in for dinner twice before and tonight's visit, our third, may well be the last. It's right in our neighborhood and while we like to patonize local spots, it's up to them to earn continued patronage.

The food is mediocre at best -- given the two previous experiences I ordered the steak fajitas. I mean, how tough are those? Plenty tough apparently. The steak was nearly reduced to crispy bits and the veggies charred and mushy to the point where a spoon was required to move them from pan to tortilla.

The fixins' -- mostly a pile a shredded lettuce topped with smallish piles of red-hued rice, refried beans, and pico de gallo were uninspired and dull. The guacamole was peppered with too much cheyenne to be a palette cooler. The best thing on the plate was the sour cream!

My wife's tortilla concoction - two 13" tortilllas with a razor-thin spreading of red-sauced beef then grilled was kinda gross. I can make something similar and much better tasting with canned goods and my George Foreman grill. The tortillas were sided with three sauces that were various degrees of freakin' hot.

The dishes, except for the sopa de mariscoes I had the first time, are loaded with carbs and woefully short on proteins and nunaced flavors.

Maybe the tacos, ordered individually, are the thing that gets Los Ocampo its stars. It certainly isn't anything we've had to eat. Or perhaps its the upbeat music, the only thing we agreed that made this experience worthwhile...

Reviewed 14 January 2012

First off... the salsa had way too cilantro and was room warmer than temperature. I order steak for the meat selection and asked that it not be over cooked. When it cam out, it was in the form of tiny pieces. I took one bite and choked it down. I couldn't bring myself to eat another bite. My husband is a human garbage can and will eat anything and he barely touched his food. We ended up paying and leaving to pick up some fast food because I was so hungry. Also the music was very loud and there were toddlers running up and down the floor. Do not go here if you want to eat or if you are prone to headaches.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is one of the most authentic mexican restaurants in the Twin cities area. I love the tacos al pastor, the quesadilla's with cheese, sour cream and stuffed with lettuce! Agua de horchata is excellent too. Prices are reasonable - Highly recommended.