“Service was great- Savories were not grand”
Review of Handsome Hog

Handsome Hog
Ranked #51 of 927 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Description: Handsome Hog is a pig-centric, southern-inspired restaurant in Lowertown, St. Paul.
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

We had dinner for 10 last night.
We had a wonderful private table at the back of the restaurant and our server was friendly, funny and knowledgeable about the menu. The gin and tonic was a hit! We had the server order us whatever he wanted to for us and we ate ‘family style’.
The majority of us were a little disappointed in the brisket. Not as tender as we had hoped. The whole sea bass was a sight along with the surprise ‘pigs head’ which the men loved but the women weren’t thrilled with the look. I did have a taste of the pig an the sea bass and enjoyed them both.
We liked the sides- meat platter, Mac & cheese, cauliflower and collard greens.
I was hoping for more flavor from the creamed corn.
Overall we all enjoyed the experience and would come back for drinks on an occasion. Not somewhere we would go out to eat at regularly.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We were a group of 10 that showed up for Sunday brunch w/o reservations. The staff sprang into action to put together a few tables right away.

The restaurant was clean and attractive without any distracting or over the top decor.

Our table was given a brunch menu that had 4 specialty drinks (mimosa, bloody, etc.) and 12 entrees to choose from plus some a la carte items.

I ordered a bloody that appeared well seasoned, topped with a dry rubbed spare rib and a Surly Hell beerback in a wee little mug. I didn't get into the bloody much before I noticed MOLD spores on the spare rib. One day too long in the refrigerator cold bin I guess. (Strike 1).

I sent back the bloody and got a delicious Mojo IPA nitro from Boulder Beer. We weren't given a drink list and I only discovered the selection after the fact. Would have loved to get into some bourbon but it was never suggested nor was a full drink list offered. (Strike 2).

Beignets were dry but decent flavor for our appetizers.

Entrees were all pretty good. We are a family that shares so we agreed that, in order, (from the brunch menu) we liked these best.

The Boss Hog sandwich
Carolina BBQ sandwich
Cajun Eggs Benedict
Brisket Hash
Chicken and Waffles
Shrimp and Grits

Pork is obviously supposed to be the star but certain dishes outshone others based on execution alone. The portion of chicken and waffles was a letdown and nobody said they would recommend or attempt the shrimp and grits again.

We were a larger group so I guess asking for food to come out together might have been greedy but there was a slow trickle from the kitchen with 10 minutes in between the first and last dish arriving resulting in luke warm sides. (Strike 3).

The waitress was genuinely apologetic for serving me mold and gave us 10% discount.

I won't write it off entirely and perhaps I will be back to try their menu proper but I don't think we will be returning for brunch with so many top notch brunch options nearby in St. Paul.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

The service was terrible. We had two small children with us and the food did not arrive in a timely manner. One of the dishes we ordered was too highly spicy, my daughter likes spicy food but this was not edible.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Food was great! Service was great! Cool downtown atmosphere. Happy hour is a great time to get $3 beers. Good beers. Good food.

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Had heard from the local magazine that this was excellent, but only the prices seemed elevated. They do have some fun drinks but were very light on the spirits. Expect to spend $10-12 for them. I had the chicken and waffles and the waffles were the best part. The chicken was 2 drumsticks and a wing--not my favorites and greasy with no flavor, though the coating was fair. The dish included pickled peaches(?!)that had some flavor but were hard. My husband likes brisket and ordered that. Isn't brisket supposed to be smoky and infused with flavor? They had a tiny side of barbecue sauce to a tasteless fatty slab of prime rib. The menu is small which should make for some really standout dishes but that is not at all what we got. I would skip this one.