“Good Food but not Authentic”

El Toro Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 89 Restaurants in Shakopee
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 9 July 2018

This is your typical Mexican Restaurant. And there is nothing wrong with that!! Food comes out hot... yummy! Never been disappointed with any of the food here. They have a queso sauce with pico in it.... DEEEELISH! Good selection of vegetarian options as well. Service has also been pretty good every time I've been here. However, if you are looking for Authentic Mexican food... Go to El Hurache!!!! Right up the road on 101/1st Ave. right near the old Shakopee Trading Post. I'm actually salivating right now just thinking about it. Food is to die for, SUPER authentic and the man behind the counter is so wonderful. He will explain every item on their menu. Seriously, you will not be sorry... it is So, so so Good!

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

El Toro is a great spot, the service and food is always very good and this dinner loved up to the consistancy! We started with the Queso Fundido Supreme and it was outstanding. It is almost a meal in itself! We had El Loro Lindo and Burritos Mexicanos as our entrees and both were hits. The El Loro Lindo is a mix of steak, chicken, shrimp, fajita veggies, and white cheese sauce...absolutely delicious. This is without a doubt the best Mexican food and service in Shakopee.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have really enjoyed our visits over the past year. We love sitting at the bar and watching the hard working crew. Their margaritas are outstanding. Food is superb and fast, maybe a bit too fast. The only negative is the older restaurant atmosphere. Give this place a try!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Tried this restaurant while travelling on business. The restaurant is in a nice location, but the interior was a little dark. The service was excellent, but the food was lacking in flavor. I had chicken fajitas and recall the meat was a bit bland and the refried beans were very bland. I'm used to TexMex being from Texas and the full flavor of spiced fajita meat and refried beans. Having said that, I would probably try a different location for Mexican if travelling there again, but it wasn't bad - just lacking in flavor I was expecting.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 19 November 2017

I would give 5, stars ,the food is excellent, however the server could not seem to get the order right 3 times. I asked for salsa Verde 3 times and he said ya i will get it, after 10 minutes I had to go in the back and get it myself. I ordered a burrito with no rice and add cilantro, when it came it had only had rice and meat, I had to wait another 10 minutes for the food to be corrected.by the time i received my food, everyone at my table was done with their food, I advised him his tip would be 10% instead of the 30 I usually give end told hm to learn a lesson from this,'

Date of visit: November 2017