“Step back in time: classic mom-and-pop deep south sandwich shop”

Beatty Street Grocery
Ranked #69 of 400 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 20 December 2016

Opposite of the squeaky clean soulless suburban strip mall restaurants. Real character, as has been in practice for generations. Beatty burger is the classic, but plenty of folks like the fried bologna sandwich--try ordering that at Sonic or Five Guys. Ham and egg poorboy is excellent, and if you get it with everything, it will satisfy three hungry people. The most democratic restaurant in Jackson--roofers sit next to bankers.

1  Thank Fletcher_Cox

Reviewed 10 August 2016

Beatty Street truly has the best burger I think I have ever eaten (aside from my own, my husband's, or my mother's). The food is delicious, the burgers are juicy, cooked through, and very very tasty. The breakfast here is awesome, too. Their sausage biscuits are the best.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Years ago I had eaten take out (picked up by someone else) from Beatty Street, but this was the first time I'd eaten on site. I went with a companion, and we ordered our food, found some empty stools at a counter, and then my friend went back to wait for our meals. It wasn't long before I was contemplating an enormous hamburger with a side of fries, imaging that I would have plenty left over to eat for supper. Wrong. The burger was so good that I had to eat every bite right then and there--even though I was uncomfortably full about halfway through the burger. It was absolutely delicious.

So why would I rate the place as a 3? I'd put the food at about a 4.5, but even a hole in the wall grocery/eatery should have a readily apparent restroom. More importantly, the place just didn't look clean to me, and believe me, I'm far from a hygiene nut. The area where the food is prepared may be spotless and have top-notch ratings from the health department, and obviously I didn't inspect that area. But the general appearance of things (even though the counter tops for eating appeared clean) was dirty. I didn't go there for its ambiance; I went there for the food, but I had assumed that things would appear clean. My feeling about the cleanliness--or lack thereof--knocked down the overall rating to a 3.

I've read other reviews, and no one else seemed troubled about what I consider Beatty Street's dirty appearance. My suggestion to you is see for yourself how it comports with your standards for cleanliness. This is a very busy place, and you can park just a few steps from the door. Just go in and check it out before you decide whether you want to eat there. No one will pay any attention to you or stop you and ask if they can help you. Then, if it meets your standards, go on in, stand in line to order, and be prepared to eat one of the best burgers you've ever had.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

I have been eating at Beatty Street for nearly 40 years. every time I am in town I stop to get a poor boy or a breakfast sandwich. The burgers this time was a little messy

2  Thank 97antoine
Reviewed 11 September 2015

Downtown location in business area of Jackson is definitely worth a visit. Where the "locals" eat. Great Breakfast sandwiches and Sides. Beatty St Burger is one of the best I have EVER eaten. Located in a back counter in a neighborhood grocery store that has been there for decades. Great place to get away from the bump and grind fast food places. Seating at counters for eating in but most get it to go. I recommend calling it in for busy times of the day....

1  Thank Kelly M