“Remarkable”

Eudora Welty House and Garden
Ranked #5 of 68 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: The restored gardens of this deceased Mississippi writer.
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Eudora Welty remarked, "Fiction depends for its life on place. Place is the crossroads of circumstance, the proving ground of, What happened? Who's here? Who's coming?...:

Visiting her home, I felt this sense of place. When our group entered her bedroom on our tour, I could vividly picture her writing at her desk, windows open for a breeze and to inhale the scent of the garden and to hear the music from Bellhaven University drifting on the breeze.

The introductory video kept everyone's interest and the visitor's center exhibits are well done and provide glimpses into Ms. Welty's fascinating life.

She was a genius and I look forward to reading her work.

All reviews
in 23 reviews
"belhaven"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

The Eudora Welty House in Jackson, MS is a must see for aspiring writers. Visitors get excellent insight into Eudora Welty's writing and how she edited her work. A visit of the home and garden takes about 2 hours. Be sure to watch the film.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

We were planning on staying in Pearl, MI and so looked up my trusty TripAdvisor Site and saw that Eudora Welty home was in Jackson. I called and booked a 9 AM tour for the next morning. Be aware that Visitor's Center opens at 8:30 and, therefore, we could get a head start on our visit. One of the docent's came to work early, Ferrell invited us to tour the garden first (so that we could get on the road again earlier) even before the Center opened. We were abie to see the informative film and tour the exhibits which prepared us to see the home. What a delightful tour we had. Each room is filled with her books they are everywhere and displayed the way she had them. Even if you have not read anything by her, you will thoroughly enjoy the tour and you WILL want to read something by her. The recommendation is to start with her Collectdion of Short Stories. Why I Live At the P.O. is high on my list; it is a humorous short story. Be sure to visit!

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

Hidden in a tree-filled neighborhood, Eudora Welty's home across from Belhaven University is a joy for any bibliophile. I enjoy seeing how writers & fellow booklovers live & this home is a peek into Miss Welty's world. And the gardens, though not at peak bloom, were nostalgic for me...loads of oxalis reminding me of my grandmother's yard. The house is by tour only, but at $5, definitely worth it...the garden is free. Not a site for small kids, but if you are a fan of Miss Welty or of books, it's worthwhile.