“Would NOT recommend”

Extend a Suites Meridian
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Meridian
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We were traveling across Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Some points on our trip we had a planned layover and reservations, others we did not. All the way from B&B to top casino suites. For the drive through Mississippi we did not have a planned stop over or reservations, but had picked up a magazine at the border welcome center that had coupons for lodging. Since we had spent a good deal of our vacation budget at casinos and on the bed & breakfast, we decided to spend this one night at just a plain economy type motel. It was getting time to pull over and spend the night, so 30 minutes before we reached Meridian, I flipped through the magazine and noticed that we could stay for $39.99 by using the coupon at the Quality Inn, and have access to Wi, plus a free HOT breakfast. We had thought about using the Best Western which offered similar....and wish we had even though I have no idea what the Meridian one is like. I don't think I've ever stayed at a Best Western that wasn't clean and comfortable though.

So, 30 minutes out...I called and asked about availability. The person on the phone had availability for the non-smoking room we requested, and just asked how long it would be before we arrived. She didn't even ask for a card to reserve since we were so close.

As we drove up, it looked modern and nice enough, and I was relieved when I saw a very clean and comfortable lobby. I could see into some of the open doors where conference rooms were in use, and that was reassuring to me that a business would book there. The person with whom I had spoken on the phone was on break when we were checking in, but another very nice lady helped us. Another business traveler was checking in as we were, and as we left he told us that this place has the best breakfast and he always stayed here on his route because of it. Again...I'm feeling so much better about all this....and for only $39.99 with that coupon. Especially since I'd asked how much the room rate was without the coupon and was told $80. And that's what the man had said he paid.

The room we were given was at the VERY BACK of the lot. As we pulled out of the portico and began to wind our way back to the very back, we passed a deserted service station right next to the grounds. Then as we were still winding our way past the different buildings that housed room units, I saw a man who looked like he was hiding in the forest of trees that surrounds the lot along the side and the back of the property. What had looked nice suddenly became a little nerve wracking. Who goes into the treeline to hide? For what purpose? It was not well lighted in this area, and I no longer wanted a hot free breakfast. But too late...and my husband kept reassuring me.

As we came around the corner, there were a group of men around a grill cooking out. Okay...so they provide this for the crews of construction workers that they house. That's good. I have nothing against construction workers....my family has a lot of them. We are just normal hard working people. And I feel for those who must be on the road and away from family in order to make a living. Maybe the Quality Inn helps make them a little less homesick with amenities like that. We notice several sitting on curbs away from the group, in order to use their cell phones. I'm thinking...calling home to stay in touch with the family...and it makes me feel warm at that thought. My heart goes out to them.

We finally reach the very back where our unit is located. Again...construction vehicles and car hauling truckers parked everywhere. We barely have room to squeeze our mid size Chevy HHR into a parking spot. And we notice that the workers are all hanging out outside their units and around their cars and it's very noisy. We get stared at...but I guess we were staring as well. I can handle that.

But when we open the door and see the room....I don't even have to say the first word. I know it's as bad as I think it is when my husband jumps in with "It's only for one night."

Having just come from a wonderful bed and breakfast experience in Louisiana.....any hotel room would have been a let down. Even a nice suite. Can't describe it as a little let down.....it was the bottom PITS!

Walls that haven't been painted in forever with stains, cracks....grim. Carpets haven't been replaced even before that. This room looked like it had been partied in on many occasions. It was nothing the cleaning crew could have done to make it cleaner. The whole room needed to be renovated. The bed was not comfortable, and I did not sleep well worrying about the sanitary issue of the mattress.

It was VERY noisy from all the folks tarrying outside our room. Not so much their voices, but they did enjoy gunning engines, screeching brakes, and pulling in and out of the parking lot all night. The drapes don't help much in keeping those car head lights from coming in.

I would have demanded my money back had I paid $80...and left. I wanted to demand my $40 back and leave....it was that bad, but I tried to "cowgirl up and be a good sport" because hubby had made sure all of the other places we had stayed and planned to stay were nice.

The breakfast was okay. They have a lady that prepares an omelette for you after you select your ingredients, biscuits & gravy. Neither of these are from scratch, but mixes. They also provide continental type foods.....cereals/fruit/bagals.

To their credit, the staff asked how the stay was, and I told her the condition of the room was not acceptable. But it's nothing the staff can do. The Quality Inn is not quality. The only thing that is quality there is the nice staff. The Quality Inn management should be ashamed of the condition of the rooms.

The word "Quality Inn" is now a joke between my husband and myself. As we continued our trip, we enjoyed seeing the "Quality Inn" on the interstate in each town that had one, and we waved as we passed it by.

I can't speak for other "Quality Inns" because I haven't stayed in any others. But I would not recommend the Quality Inn in Meridan, Mississippi to anyone, nor will I stay there on any return trip to that area.

Room Tip: In this particular facility in Meridian, I would advise you to ask to see the room before you choose...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 September 2011

I was in on a road trip recently that included MS - during the torrential rains from Tropical Storm Lee. I arrived early afternoon in Meridian and thought it best to get off the road. I appreciated that I was able to check in early to the Quality Inn. The front desk personnel (including a trainee) were very nice and helpful. The lobby was well-appointed and the grounds were decent. The room? Not so much.

The room was old and in desperate need of updating. Scuffed and battered walls (including a large hole by the towel bar), shabby carpet and bedspread. It was roomy and clean enough to provide shelter for one night. The wall unit a/c was extremely noisy and emitted unpleasant smells. As the temps had dropped to the 50's and very damp, I made the mistake of turning on the heat. The whole thing smelled as though it would burn up any minute! Had to open the door, and it took a while to clear the air.

I stayed because the weather was so bad and I didnt' have much choice. Definitely would not recommend this hotel. The free breakfast was decent, but I was certainly glad to leave the next day! Even with AAA, the room (plus taxes) was nearly $80!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Room very clean, safe and secure. Bed large and very comfortable. Rates excellent and front desk people were very helpful. Free breakfast in the morning was good also.

Room Tip: Park at your door.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We travel with our dog alot. We were very pleasantly surprised that this hotel had no charge for our dog. The check in was very nice, turns out the gal at the counter was the owners daughter. She was so helpful. The rooms are ok a little dated but clean. The cost was $67 plus 9 % tax. The next morning we spoke with the owner. Very nice man and very good to his staff. We will stay her again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank momskier
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I stayed at the Quality Inn because most of the other local chain hotels were booked up. The Quality Inn is made up of multiple two-story motel-style buildings. Staff was friendly and quickly moved me out of the smoking room to which I was accidentally assigned. But the second room was worse. There was a large dead bug in the middle of the worn-out carpet. The windows were filthy and the fixtures were dusty. I turned on the sink and streams of brown water shot out for several minutes. I drank bottled water during the trip just to be safe.

There was a cigarett burn hold in the bedspread but the linens were otherwise clean and the bed adequately comfortable.

We tried the free breakfast the first day. There was a very friendly woman making omelets - a nice touch. But the milk was sour and we ate at the Waffle House across the street for the rest of the trip.

There was no desk in the room - just a table and chair, so it's really not appropriate for busines travel. It is inexpensive and not _horrible_ --- but stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business