Sombra Mexican Kitchen
Ranked #11 of 153 Restaurants in Ridgeland
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Description: From the fresh-squeezed limejuice and organic agave nectar in every margarita to the made-from-scratch corn and flour tortillas, Sombra focuses on the fresh, flavorful tastes that are at the core of our authentic food and drink. Whether it is a family reunion or a handmade cocktail with a friend at our vibrant bar, Sombra will serve your every need. In addition to the restaurant itself, Sombra offers a private room for up to 40 guests, two outdoor patios and take-out services. If you prefer to host your event at your venue, we'll bring the fiesta to you! Delivery and full-service catering options are available for groups of any size. Our Sales Manager will work with you to create a customized menu within your budget parameters, as well as assistance with rentals and execution of your event. Locally-owned by the same folks that brought you Amerigo and Char, Sombra Mexican Kitchen invites you to experience our passion for the flavor of old and new Mexico!
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

I had the brisket tacos, which were very good, but I bet I would have preferred at least one of the other taco choices. The only thing to complain about was mediocre rice and beans.

Lastly, the cheese dip is amazingly good. The chips are pretty heavily coated in chili powder which I liked okay with the salsa but wasn't sure it really improved anything. But it paired perfectly with the best cheese dip I've ever had. The only warning I would give is that I don't think my kids would have liked it when it's normally their favorite thing at a Mexican restaurant. The depth of flavor I enjoyed so much, they would have described as "weird."

4Top_Hospitality, Manager at Sombra Mexican Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for the review! It's a pleasure to hear such high praises for the cheese dip, but I'm sorry you didn't care for the rice and beans. Please know that we are always happy to replace or take care of any dish you don't absolutely love. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and hope to see you back again in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Visited the Ridgeland restaurant with my better half and overall we had a good experience and enjoyed our meals. We had very low expectations since this is coming from a couple recently moving to MS from Texas, my love actually lived in Mexico (not a tourist), and we actively pursue traditional restaurants off the beaten path and often with a large percentage of Spanish speaking guests - yes these even exist here in Jackson and Canton! Overall our opinion was that many dishes were quite "Americanized" even to Texas standards. But let's focus on the good, because certainly you can find some yummies for most everyone here. Enjoyed the upscale decor and surroundings, but in no way traditional- more a professionally run restaurant.

Given nicely spiced nacho style chips with mild salsa. Not sure the spice constituents but suspect smoked paprika and chili pepper. Went great with my cold glass of Dos Equis and her Margarita (they offer a nice selection to choose from)

Appetizers- we thought the Cheese dip (with Hatch chiles, tomato, jalapeño peppers, and cilantro) was good. We had the chorizo variation and this kicked it up a notch. They also offer ground beef and a shrimp version. We have had this at many other restaurants and this was on par with good Tex-mex. We would also like with onions and heat kicked up a smidgeon. Guacamole looked good at a neighboring table- might have to give that a whirl next time.

Entrees: Me) pulled chicken Chimichanga with refried beans. Topped with guacamole, sour cream, picu de gallo, black olives, cheese. Found the chicken moist but bland bland. Used a little chorizo cheese dip and was more like the flavor and heat that I like. Her) chonita torta (grilled bread topped with slow-roasted pulled pork, jalapeño agave BBQ drizzle)... no wow and more schlotsky's that any torta south of the border.

Appreciate they are targeting a MS palate and overall we have good things to say- do recommend that you give it a try. We will be back.

3  Thank Food_Junkie911
4Top_Hospitality, Manager at Sombra Mexican Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2017

Hello,

Thanks for the four stars! It's a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your recent meal at Sombra. A return visit is definitely in order as the guacamole is a must try for sure! Thank you again for the review; we look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Have eaten here several times when in the area and have been pleased each time. I'm somewhat of a snob when it comes to chips and salsa and theirs is excellent. Chips are light and crispy and seasoned well. The chimichanga is good, but really, get the shrimp fajitas! The shrimp are jumbo and the tortillas are house made! The margaritas don't disappoint either!

4Top_Hospitality, Manager at Sombra Mexican Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

Hello,

Thank you for the four stars! We appreciate your patronage, and it's a pleasure to hear you're a fan of the menu-- those shrimp fajitas can't be beat! Thanks again for the review; we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

It's been a while since I've given a five star review but this place deserves it! The tacos were the best I've ever had especially the shrimp tacos. Great beer and the service was spot on. Great atmosphere. They were on there game tonight!

4Top_Hospitality, Manager at Sombra Mexican Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Hello,

Thank you for your recent visit to Sombra; we are pleased to hear that you had an 5-star experience with us! We strive to provide exemplary service and cuisine to each and every guest, so it is great to hear that your experience was no exception. We are flattered that you consider our tacos the best you've every had; our Shrimp Tacos are a crowd favorite! Thank you for the review, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Ali Gensert,

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed the atmosphere, and the food and drinks were good (not amazing, but I was not expecting amazing Mexican in Ridgeland, MS). The service was great, restaurant was clean, and we were in an out in a little over and hour on a Friday night. I would return.

Hello,

Thank you for your recent visit to Sombra; it is great to hear that you enjoyed your meal! We strive to provide top notch service and cuisine to each and every guest, so it is great to hear that your experience was no exception. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit!

Ali Gensert,