“Friday night dinner - pretty good.”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 84 Restaurants in Clayton
Price range: US$45 - US$55
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Forsyth
Transit: Metro Link/N. Hanley
Description: Ruth's Chris Steak House specializes in serving aged USDA Prime steaks, broiled in a trademark 1800-degree oven and served on a plate heated to 500 degrees to ensure the steak stays "sizzling" hot. To experience fine dining at its best … Just follow the sizzle to the nearest Ruth's Chris Steak House.
Reviewed 4 February 2018

We had dinner there last night and it was very good. Prices are high here but you go in understanding that. My wife got Chilean Sea Bass and raved over it. I tasted it and agree - it was an excellent dish. I was not quite so lucky.

My entree was a strip sirloin requested to be prepared "Pittsburgh Rare." If you don't know what that is, it means a steak charred on the outside and almost raw in the center. What I got was not close. It was charred all right but the center was of medium done-ness. I ate it anyway. It was pretty good. I am not a complainer, so I didn't make an issue of it. Cost them a star though.

1  Thank ready314

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

This week is restaurant week in Clayton MO and Ruth Chris has a great menu for the event as usual. We got seated immediately after arrival and our waitress was very good in explaining the restaurant week and regular menu.

I have mentioned in my previous reviews how great the atmosphere and ambiance of this restaurant so no need here.

We ordered salads for appetizer which was simply perfect because it shows that how a 5 star restaurant like Ruth Chris is different than others. The 8oz Filet was cooked to medium perfection and melts in your mouth. The side dishes (mashed potatoes and creamed spinach) were a nice a complement to the main dish and were the right portions.

The only thing I would say that was an inconvenience is the valley parking because they had one attendee who struggled to keep up with the demand of high volume of customers. I will always come back to have to a great experience here.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Had the opportunity to dine here for a dinner presentation. I arrived at 5:15pm (for 6pm reservation) and was promptly taken to the room. The place was already somewhat busy at that time.
Ambiance: Typical Steakhouse set up. Dimly lit. The room was set up nicely facing a 50-60" TV screen. They appear to have multiple rooms that could be enlarged. This talk was set up for 12. All of the equipment was laid out and I had not problems setting up my Mac.
Service: Overall It was ok. They seemed proficient enough in regards to dinner presentation. My order was taken and I requested them to hold it til I was finish. However, at the end, they held the wrong steak (filet instead of NY). I didn't want them to fire another one so I just ate that. They did bring out the salad and some of the appetizers as I requested. Water and wine was refilled in a timely fashion. We were not rushed.
Food: It was pretty good. Filet was a tad overcooked (but then again, I don't know what was ordered)at a medium well. The sides I didn't care for. Sweet potato tasted like dessert. Stuffed mushrooms were good as well as the seared tuna appetizers. The dessert included the carrot cake which was good. The chocolate mousse was too sweet.

Overall a decent place to hold a dinner presentation.

1  Thank Saysum
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

I had the opportunity to entertain a client for a recent dinner meeting and realized I could have had a much better meal, for 1/3 the price, at any of a number of other wonderful St. Louis restaurants.

I had the Cajun Ribeye (16oz) for a modest $49, which did not include sides (which ranged anywhere from $10-$25/ea). The ribeye was overly fatty and excessively greasy. My client had the petite filet (which he enjoyed). The Mac n cheese with lobster was tasty but overpriced at $25. Bottom line ... save your $$$ and have a better meal elsewhere (for a lot less).

2  Thank hoffmanter
Reviewed 4 October 2017

This restaurant is expensive. For two meals, we paid a little over $100. You will not eat steak anywhere else after this restaurant. I like my steak well done, which usually makes it a little tougher and with a less flavor than I guess a less cooked steak would be. Not the case here. The steak melted in my mouth and had wonderful flavor. Sides were well portioned and tasted great. The atmosphere there is amazing. We aren't fancy restaurant kind of people, but this was a nice treat. We truly felt elegant eating there. The wait staff was awesome. Incredibly polite and cordial. I asked my waiter where the restroom was located and he walked me there. I definitely recommend Ruth's Chris for anyone looking for a special night.