“Love the idea, staff was great, a lot needs to change.”
Review of Columbia Star Dinner Train - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Columbia Star Dinner Train
Reviewed 16 February 2014

There were 4 of us that waited outside in freezing temperatures with other complaining people while 2 staff members looked for names and tickets which took about a half hour. That was enough to make sure I never did this again. We were informed we had the warmest car and everyone was very cold. Then we asked for a bottle of wine as soon as we were seated and they were already out. We had 2 other choices that we thought would be good and they were out of those, too. The ride was supposed to be for 3 hours and ended up being 4 1/2. We did not get our main course until 10 PM. The food was delicious, the play was good, the staff was great but I think owner/management needs to do something to change how things are done before I will recommend or do this again. Overall, we had a good time but we were not paying a babysitter or had to get up early the next day and we could afford to let go of our expectations. There were some very unhappy people when we were leaving and that is too bad. I think this could really be a great and wonderfully different experience. Another tip: When you call to make the reservations, the answering machine usually picks up and don't assume someone will call back. I called several times, left a message, and after a few days, tried one more time and got someone. The message on their machine asked to leave a number and they would call back. They were not aware of my message. If I had not talked to someone that day, I would have given up. I am giving this an average rating because I am hopeful.

3  Thank jjfitzsimonds

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We made a reservation but never got confirmation but our credit card sure got charged right away for the $199 dinner plus 18% gratuity before we got there. We were made to stand in the freezing cold for over 30 minutes while they tried to figure out the reservation mess. Once aboard we waited over 90 minutes for our drinks and then they had run out of the wine we ordered. The food was actually pretty good when you could get it. Our entree wasn't served until after 10 pm which was 3 1/2 hours later. We were supposed to return at 10 but it was more like midnight. Many diners were panicking, some were loudly complaining and demanding their money back. One waitress was trying desperately to get drinks for about 80 people. Worse yet in the midst of all this chaos was a "murder mystery" entertainment troop who did nothing but scream into microphones and harass the patrons. We were expecting dim lights and soft music but ended up in the middle of a 2 bit Vaudeville act. The only thing that was close to prompt was the bill at the end. Additional suggested gratuities were added - imagine. People were scrambling to get paid and just get off. Our dinner companion said he would have jumped off the train if he could. My husband who is the world's kindest man finally lost his temper when after waiting a long time to pay found they had grossly overcharged us. He asked for the card to be rerun and they just tossed him a $20 bill and we got out of there. My husband was so visibly disappointed - I just felt terrible since he surprised me with this unfortunate experience. It ruined our Valentines day completely. Never again:(

7  Thank Bbqcouple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

After piling in a car with other couple we waited outside in freezing temperatures to board. Once on board we waited 2 hours asking repeatedly for our drinks only to be forgotten and then they were out of our first and second requests both. It took until after 2 very small courses and 2 and 1/2 hours to get our drinks. Service is slow and horrible! I feel like we were ripped off for valentines day!

6  Thank shortcake40
Reviewed 7 February 2014

You have to make reservations. They lost mine. Even after I showed my confirmation they made my wife and I wait in our cars while the sorted things out. When we finally got on, everyone else had tables already set. We had to ask for silverware, napkins, coffee and almost everything else that other patrons just seemed to automatically get. Don't ever go in the day, especially in the winter. You will see so much trash along the tracks that you won't have an appetite anyway.

4  Thank Kelly B